Intel mobile cpu of the last 10 years.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
I somewhat know the history of intel desktop cpu. Pentium 3 was good. Then a series of dogs. Core 2 good, intel good again.

However. I am completely ignorant of intel mobile cpu from Core 2 time to present. Were there particularly outstanding intel mobile cpu in the last 10 years?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Core 2 was designed in Israel and superceded P4 (NetBurst) architecture. All desktop/mobile processors after that were derivatives of that design (excluding Larrabee, Itanium, Atom et. al); including mobile parts (they're just in different packages, often de-featured for that price point).

iCore is up to 8th generation now. Each gives incremental performance improvement over its predecessor.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Dang you’re fast. Yeah, I amended my post.
I just bought my daughter an Ultrabook with 7th generation; getting an 8th generation CPU wasn't worth $300 more.

For the vast majority of users, generation is just a marketing point. My Arrandale processor from 2010 is more than enough for my computing needs. Had an Ultrabook with a quad core i7, but it crapped out after a couple years...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I just bought my daughter an Ultrabook with 7th generation; getting an 8th generation CPU wasn't worth $300 more.

For the vast majority of users, generation is just a marketing point. My Arrandale processor from 2010 is more than enough for my computing needs. Had an Ultrabook with a quad core i7, but it crapped out after a couple years...
My 7-yr old MacBook has a quad i7 and is fine for even very demanding applications. My understanding is that a main advantage of newer chips is lower power usage.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
My 7-yr old MacBook has a quad i7 and is fine for even very demanding applications. My understanding is that a main advantage of newer chips is lower power usage.
For mobile, they cherry pick the low power parts. They likely also use die that have bad cores/cache.

Each generation includes architectural improvements that offer modest improvement.

After 8th generation, they'll be immune to Spectre and Meltdown.

Last edited: