Inrush current

universboy

Joined Jan 27, 2005
Hi,

I have a problem. I2m using toroidal transformer, but when I switched on,
it blows fuses 25A, How can I eliminate the inrush current?

Best Regards.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

I'd start by looking for a wiring problem or a shorted primary in the transformer. That's a lot of current draw.

If all is well, look for inrush current limiters. I'm using one on my big stereo amp, so it just turns on now - it used to dim the room lights. If the problem is only at turn on, though, consider a slo-blow fuse.

universboy

Joined Jan 27, 2005
There is no wiring problem , all the problem is inrush current. can you send me part number or name or circuit for inrush current limiter?

Best Regards.

I'd start by looking for a wiring problem or a shorted primary in the transformer. That's a lot of current draw.

If all is well, look for inrush current limiters. I'm using one on my big stereo amp, so it just turns on now - it used to dim the room lights. If the problem is only at turn on, though, consider a slo-blow fuse.
[post=4853]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

I don't have enough data to make any guesses, but check out Panasonic's line of ZNR transient surge absorbers. Get some data and application sheets to make a selection. Digi-Key carries a couple of pages of them in their catalog (digikey.com).

Brandon

Joined Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by universboy@Jan 27 2005, 07:15 AM
Hi,

I have a problem. I2m using toroidal transformer, but when I switched on,
it blows fuses 25A, How can I eliminate the inrush current?

Best Regards.
[post=4848]Quoted post[/post]​
Whats your transformer specs (turns on primary, secondary, core size and composition) and what are you trying to have it do? (primary voltage/current and secondary voltage/current)

I have some experience with making torroidal transformers as I had to design one for a project at school to build a stepup switching DC/DC.