Inrush current

Harrynotpotter

Joined Feb 5, 2021
But not if it is operated as a servo, the initial current can be controlled.
I repeat my previous question, why is a 2hp motor needed? Have you measure the torque required?
Max.
It’s 1kw max. It’s needed for simulating steering torque which can go up to 30N/m on real racing cars. So this motor at 10N/m is on the smaller side but still significant.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, one more possibility, if it really is a servo motor and it really is a servo controller, is the setting of the maximum current limit adjustment. Most servo amps have such an adjustment, and that may be set far to high.
Is there a voltage rating nameplate on the servo motor? Do you have a manual for the controller?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A 20 Amp GFCI outlet:
The problem I am having I believe is inrush current, whenever I try to give the motor a command to move it trips a breaker. (It is a 20A gfci outlet).
The outlet is not designed to trip on overcurrent, it's not a circuit breaker. A 20 Amp GFCI outlet is designed to trip when it detects a leakage current. When there is a current differential between Line ands Neutral exceeding 6 mA (pretty sure that is US specification) the outlet disconnects. I doubt your problem is inrush current. I would be more inclined to believe the motor has some either capacitive or inductive leakage current. My guess is you have a fault between ground and neutral or the motor has leakage current.

Using a transformer I would think any leakage would not be noticed by the GFCI? Anyway a GFCI unless mentioned is not a circuit breaker. It should only interrupt for a ground fault and when the neutral and line currents differ it figures the difference in current is going somewhere. Inrush current should not trip a GFCI that I am aware of.

You can soft start the motor but I doubt that will eliminate any leakage current. I would maybe try and megger the motor to ground if it has a grounded case.

Ron