Inquiring about car electronics.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Not sure how the lock was removed. or taken apart as it is. Most times it is an actuator that sits in the door that connects to a rod that is then moved up or down with lock and unlock and or front to back. There are some that are built into the latch it self.

I am going to guess that it was removed because they thought it was bad. Here is why. A Audi in most causes with a Fob OEM will not lock the drivers door with out the fob near. Say you drop your wife off and she has fob with her. When you drive away and park the car even if one without key or with key all doors will lock but not the Drivers door It will lock and then unlock as a safety Not sure I like that way of working.

So yeah if they took it apart looking for a fault it would be better to just get one from a Yard or dealer. However the yard would be best bet because I am sure from the dealer they are not going to be cheap.

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Don't know why it didn' t post the rest of my post lol. however I also had said as a guide seeing I don' t know model or year of your car. I did a repair of a 2009 Audi A5 and the quote was 349 for the install and ended up doing it because it was to much for them at 300. The cost of the Actuator alone was 230 from the dealer. If you can find one from a yard I am sure you could pick one up for much less even maybe under 50 just wasn't any around for clients car.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Sorry no yards here.
I am pretty sure I have to buy one off ebay if I cannot get it back together.

I am sure it was dismantled because tech 2 made a wrong call when the lock did not work with the new BCM.
The lock was working with the old BCM.

Shows how incompetent some people are.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Stay the course and get the car working properly first. Worry about actuator later. Connect old BCM and pull any codes from it that you can. Audi communication is done on the K-line. If it communicates at all, that is a good sign. When you turn the key on, what happens in the dash? Does everything light up as it should and go out as it should? If so that is good. Let me know.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The work so far completely ignores how these modules work and talk to each other. You cannot simply replace the modules (BCM, ECM, smart door locks, etc.) with a new one without going through the proper procedures to get the system to accept the new devices. At least that's the way it is with my Chrysler, and I'm assuming this Audi is probably newer and that much more complex.

You need a service manual that discusses these training procedures. Many are not so difficult, but are a series of steps you'd never dream up on your own. I can't imagine trying to proceed without the manual or someone that has done it enough to know it by heart.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
You are quite right wayneh. Any thing built after about 2000 have quite sophisticated anti theft programs built in to the ECM & the BEM, Who knows what damage has been done if the battery has been reversed. I have done a course a few years ago on Ford systems here in Australia, with these you need a program from the manufacturer to re set the modules if they are replaced as they go in to theft mode & the vehicle has to be towed to a dealer to be re programed. I have a 2000 model Mazda if I loose the only key with a transponder in it, it will cost $1000 dollars to have a new one cut & re programed. If that happens I will be scraping the car & moving on.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Are service manuals available for cars?

By the way, which is it, ECM or BEM or BCM ?
I have heard ECM, fixed a couple of them around here. Mainly for shorted components or burn, dried caps.

I will try with old BCM and get back with the details

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
ECM is engine management computer. BEM Body electronics Module also BCM Body Control Module both the same. Yes service manuals are available, some are on the net in PDF file for free or purchase. I have purchased them from Ebay on a CD in PDF format.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
This will give you a bit of an idea on what you can find in a workshop manual, its for the Mazda I have & its the imobilizer & how to program extra keys provided you already have one. On this particular vehicle if the Key isn't programed to the car, the engine will start but only run for a couple of seconds & stop. So its a good idea to get a Workshop manual for the car you are working on.KN.132.jpg KN.133.jpg

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
So does car has both the ECM and BCM.
Do they communicate each other ?
Does the door lock, steering lock, and key communicate with BCM only?

by the way @debe how are you ?
Haven't seen you lately.
I need a favor from you. I send you a PM couple of months ago I think.

bwilliams60

Joined Nov 18, 2012
Ecm stands for engine control module or electronics control module depending on OEM. The latter can be used to describe any module onthe vehicle. BCM or BEM as described above, generally controls or communicates with smaller modules for body control such as power door locks, instrument cluster etc. All modules communicate on the CANBUS or K-line in Audis case, depending on the communication speed needed. You can buy third party manuals such as Haynes or in some cases but OEM but VW is usually pretty tight lipped about their vehicles.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I got the car info
Audi A1 , 2011
MODEL: DBA-8XCAX
CH: WAUZZZ8X5DB064755

Any idea where I can get the workshop manual.

Installation of old BCM will be done tomorrow.
He will let me know once it is done, so I can go and check it.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I checked the door lock and I believe it is pretty bad.
I will check it after installation though.

We are thinking of buying a new if it does not work out so I checked online and found some, but I dunno which is compatible.
Like to ask for some one to direct me.

Below is the old one.

Lock 1.jpg

Lock 4.jpg

Lock 2.jpg

And here is what I found. 1, 2, and 3.
Please let me know the compatible one.
Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vw-Volkswag...997995?hash=item3ae7333ceb:g:YcwAAOSwCU1YwXJf

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
Well it is going to be hard to find a Used Shop manual for that car. Not sure where you and the car are at but I wonder if the A1 is a 2012. From what I know of the car is that they were built in 2010 and released in 2011 and then in 2012 for export? I am not sure about the door lock really as it could be hard to get.. I would ask the Dealer if you can get the Shop manuals even if you were to find them used they would be VERY costly at that year. For impala's right now used 3 book for 2012 edition is now down to 300ish however it wasn't to long ago they were almost a grand.

i did find one at Ebay for 100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2...ash=item20f21c87fc:g:dR4AAOSw2XFUhjzQ&vxp=mtr

That may or may not be helpful.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Well it is going to be hard to find a Used Shop manual for that car. Not sure where you and the car are at but I wonder if the A1 is a 2012. From what I know of the car is that they were built in 2010 and released in 2011 and then in 2012 for export? I am not sure about the door lock really as it could be hard to get.. I would ask the Dealer if you can get the Shop manuals even if you were to find them used they would be VERY costly at that year. For impala's right now used 3 book for 2012 edition is now down to 300ish however it wasn't to long ago they were almost a grand.

i did find one at Ebay for 100. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2...ash=item20f21c87fc:g:dR4AAOSw2XFUhjzQ&vxp=mtr

That may or may not be helpful.
The date is taken from the registration here.
There is no dealer here.

The lock part no. is different. Will it work ?

Last edited:

IMP002017

Joined Jan 28, 2017
I am not 100% sure if it would work. maybe I would contact the person selling the part and ask. It might be different do to place of Manufacture or date of such. However the person selling the item may have better info about what may or may not work.

Problem is that with such a new car it is hard to know what can and can not work with the car. I can't find anything really in the USA about the car. There is no online things that I can find for the car. Even looking at Rockauto that I use to buy most of my cars and Suv parts don't have 1 thing on a A1. It could be that the car lock came from another car that might be able to work with an A1. Again sorry I couldn't be more help on the matter.

Here is another one that is little cheaper an dthere are more that cost more. All say work with an A1 but not sure so would for sure contact ask to double check

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LH-Front-Le...ash=item1a2df623da:g:H2cAAOSwMvtZPmX6&vxp=mtr

James

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
@wayneh
Thank you.
I that site for real.
I never bought the manuals before so I am not sure.
You showed 2 of the, should I get them both ?

Any one else care to comment ?

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't know. I recommend a longer search. I've always been able to find what I needed for free. The guys on the Audi forums occasionally post links to free copies but none of the older ones I found were valid.

There is apparently a service that will assemble a manual based on your VIN, so the manual is customized to your exact model. It's something like $70, but could be worth it.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And don't be fooled into buying a Haynes or Chiltons manual to repair what your trying to do. Those two are 'general' manuals, for home mechanics. They don't go into real detail like a factory manual does.