The denominator of the Kv and Ki expressions should be the same. You are missing an Rd term in the Ki expression denominator.Here is my result:
![]()
Voltage gain, Kv:
![]()
Current gain:
![]()
Power gain: Kp = Kv*Ki
I want to maximize power gain and therefore I am thinking about removing Rs and minimizing R1 and R2.
What is the limit for R1, R2?
I have just recalculated it again in snap and get the same result. I will try this in another software. And why Ki has to contain Rd?The denominator of the Kv and Ki expressions should be the same. You are missing an Rd term in the Ki expression denominator.
Yes, it is about 1.7GHz.Is this amplifier going to be used at high frequency?
It has to contain Rd because the expression for Kv contains Rd.I have just recalculated it again in snap and get the same result. I will try this in another software. And why Ki has to contain Rd?
At a frequency that high you definitely need to provide a capacitor to ground from the gate of M2--a capacitor suitable for use at 1.7 GHz!Yes, it is about 1.7GHz.
I found the circuit in a book in which R1 is a capacitor. In my view, this capacitor is what you meant.At a frequency that high you definitely need to provide a capacitor to ground from the gate of M2--a capacitor suitable for use at 1.7 GHz!
I am not sure about this. In contrary, I think SNAP has calculated correctly.The denominator of the Kv and Ki expressions should be the same. You are missing an Rd term in the Ki expression denominator.
I am not sure about this. In contrary, I think SNAP has calculated correctly.
If Rd were the only thing receiving the output current from the ideal current source, then the current in Rd would not be affected by the value of Rd.The "out" symbol is connected to the output of an ideal current source - and I cannot see how Rd should influence the output current.
On the other hand, the current through R1 and R2, of course, DOES influence (via feedback) this current.
Hi, Jony,...also Zin expression looks very strange. Zin is not equal to R4.
As I said, if it is assumed that it is the current through Rd, then the value of Rd affects the current gain; if it is assumed to be the current out of the source, then Rd has no effect on the current gain.I think, the problem is that the "out" symbol can be used unambigiously for voltages (across the symbol) - but, on the other hand, it is not quite clear which current is defined as "out".
Three alternatives: Current through RD, through R2 or out of the source.
(At least, it is not clear to me. What do you think?)
Yes, output current is the one flowing through Rd. That is what I think the software will choose. I have just used it and don't know much about it. With the input and output as in the picture. I change how output is measured and get the same result for Ki.anhnha should tell us what the definition of Ki is for this problem; what is taken to be the output current; I took it to be the current in Rd.
Do you mean that you get the same result that you got in post #38, or do you mean the "same result" as I got (with Rd in the denominator)....get the same result for Ki.
Yes, the same as one in post #38.Do you mean that you get the same result that you got in post #38, or do you mean the "same result" as I got (with Rd in the denominator).
I wanted to do that but I can't see any equations in snap. The only thing I need to use this software is to take components and arrange it as in the picture. Then I only need press the Ki button and get the result. No equations and how it is calculated are visible.If you mean the same as you got in post #38, you'll have to show how you set the equations for Snap to solve if you want us to help determine why Snap doesn't give a result with Rd in the denominator.
SAPWIN doesn't do a very good job of removing common factors from numerator and denominator.In case yu are interested:
Here are my simulaton results using SAPWIN:
Voltage gain:
Numerator (N(s)=- gm1*gm2*R4*RD*(R1+R2)
Current gain (through RD):
Numerator N(s)=-gm1*gm2*R4*(R1+R2)
For both cases: denominator
D(s)=gm1*gm2*RS*R4*(R1+R2)+gm2*R4*(RS+RD+R1+R2)
But without R4, the input impedance is just the gate of a FET, and that input impedance (at low frequency, which is what we're doing) is infinite, leading to an infinite current gain if R4 is actually removed from the circuit. I think the numerator of the current gain expression needs to have an R4 term.Please note that R4 can be eliminated. This seems to be logical after visual inspection of the circuit.
Yes - I have noticed it. However, probing of a current is more logical (if compared with SNAP) and - as mentioned already - the direction of the VCCS output current is indicated.SAPWIN doesn't do a very good job of removing common factors from numerator and denominator.
I understood what you meant by "eliminated" from the equation. But then there would be no R4 term anywhere in the expression for Ki. My further remarks were to suggest why it would seem that there must be an R4 term in that expression. R4 is what determines the input current; without it there would be no input current (other than a parasitic current).Regarding R4: I am afraid, you misunderstood my remark. Of course, I mean "eliminated" in the equation - not in the circuit. Or did you assume I would consider a parasitic FET input current as an input for defining a current gain?
As you say, the direction of the output current is not shown, but I assume the + sign on the control side should correspond to the gate of a FET. That leads me to think that GM2 is oriented incorrectly, but without an output current direction shown, I can't really offer an opinion.But what do you think about my remark concerning VCCS feedback in the SNAP diagram?