induction steamer

heatmaker

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Trying to build a circuit that has a variable heat setting to heat water flowing through a small copper tube. Basically a homemade carpet steamer.
Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
If you are just heating water there is no point in using an induction system to do the job.

A simple resistance heater system will do far better for far less cost and with far greater efficiency and reliability. Especially if it has to be portable.

heatmaker

Joined Apr 3, 2014
OK. How would you suggest I proceed? I apologize for being so ignorant of electronics, but I'm 51 and teaching myself as I go.
Yes it needs to be portable.
(Thank you for your reply).

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
google for "flash boiler"
they are easiest to build and design. im thinking a small propane bottle and modified torch head with added copper tubing coiled up.

heatmaker

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Could I use a setup similar to a Curtis commercial coffee maker? It heats water to 210° . Very close to my target temperature. The unit has to be entirely electric, no outside heat source.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
How much water are you trying to heat total (per use), how much time between room temperature and your desired temp (212F, I presume).

What is your source of electricity? 120 v AC wall socket or other? If other, specify voltage, AC vs DC and maximum current (amperage) draw.

It might also help to frame what your end goal is, making coffee, cleaning carpet, brewing beer, other...

heatmaker

Joined Apr 3, 2014
I am trying to build a unit that will run on typical AC power, so below 20 amps. The purpose is for cleaning, so the more water flow, heat and pressure the better (4 gallons per minute? ). I know there are are limitations due to the 110 outlet, but that's OK. This may require a fixed amount of water (storage tank) which is ok, but continuous water feed via a garden hose would be perfect.
Thank you for your feedback.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
(3700 ml/gallon) x (4 gallons/minute) x (1 minute/60 seconds) x (212 - 68f) x (5 degrees c/9 degrees F) x (4.184 joules/ calorie)= watts you will need.

More than 80 kilowatts! More if your incoming water is colder. You'll. need a bunch of amps. That's not going to happen.

Remember, this assumes that 100% of your power goes to the water.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Old school math but.....

8.33 pounds per gallon.
1 BTU per degree F per pound.

So,

(8.33 x 4 x 144 x 60) / 3114 = ~ 92 KW not including the phase change energy to go from 212 liquid to 212 steam vapor.

heatmaker

Joined Apr 3, 2014
Thanks Max, I was hoping that something similar to that could be beefed up to handle more demand. It looks like what I'm hoping to accomplish will have to be done by other means. Not sure exactly how, but the track I'm on appears to be a dead end. Thanks for everyone's input.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Thanks Max, I was hoping that something similar to that could be beefed up to handle more demand. It looks like what I'm hoping to accomplish will have to be done by other means. Not sure exactly how, but the track I'm on appears to be a dead end. Thanks for everyone's input.
Slower water flow, natural gas heating, or some really big copper