Indicator for charging status (not charged status)

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by sixten abbot, Jan 21, 2019.

1. sixten abbot

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 21, 2019
    I hope this is the right place for this question, since it’s about power...

There are LOTS of tutorials for DIY battery charge indicators, but that’s not what I need. I have a stupid beard trimmer that doesn’t indicate its charging status — not even a flashing light. It doesn’t even indicate when it’s fully charged.

FWIW, I have limited electronics experience, all Arduino. But this seems like it might be a simple circuit...? I’m perfectly comfortable splicing something into the charging cord, if that will let me do what I want. If I have to cut into the trimmer to get to a circuit board, that’s probably more than I’m willing to do. Probably.

Does anyone want to hold my hand through this project, or can you point me to a tutorial that would work, or maybe just help me modify an existing one?

Thanks in advance!

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    It's actually not that simple to indicate charge status of most batteries.
    Often a dedicated IC is used that actually monitors the input and output total charge transfer to determine the battery charge status.

First step is to determine what type of battery the trimmer has.

sixten abbot likes this.
  3. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    One simple way to know the status of battery charge is to monitor the battery current.
    The trimmer will have a charger unit that takes care of the charging process.
    If the charging current is Above a Threshold, the battery is under charging state, if below that threshold, it's charged.
    Use a Hall Effect Current Monitor to monitor the battery current.

You will need to "implant" a Hall Measurement unit inside your Trimmer and take 3 monitoring lines - Gnd, Sense and Vcc.

sixten abbot likes this.
  4. sixten abbot

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 21, 2019
  5. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
  6. Dodgydave

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 22, 2012
    The second one is best ,13679/ red pcb...