Indicates charging phone but percentage is not going up.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
First off that 9 volt battery not going to charge no smart phone.
The batteries in smart phones are 1800 mA and more some over 4000 mA.
You can't get whats not there. 500 milliamps for one hour max out of a 9 volt.
My s7 uses more then that in a hour it will tell you I'm using power faster then it's charging.
on car chargers rated for 1000 mA

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
An iPhone won't charge if it can't negotiate with the USB port for power, even if the power is available. Search for the voltages that need to be applied to the data pins (using resistor voltage dividers) to fool the phone into charging. MintyBoost might have the information you need.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I don't think there's any hard requirement but it seems reasonable to me that the power source should have a significant portion of the capacity of the phone battery needing a charge. Being able to add 30% to the phone battery's charge level feels like a minimum target. Due to efficiency losses and such, I'd estimate you need a battery with 50% of the phone's capacity in order to achieve a 30% charge boost to the phone. Maybe it's even worse than that, I don't know.

Because of different battery voltages, you need to compare capacities in watt•hours instead of the amp•hours (milliamp•hours) typically used to describe the capacity of a battery (which holds itself at a near-constant voltage).

Ashley1nOnly95

Joined Feb 7, 2017
On the battery it says

950 mAh 3.6 Wh
Li-Ion Battery 3.7 V

If it is 3.7 volts why isn't it being charged by the 9V battery? Or is this not the way to think about it. I have it being dropped down to 5V using the voltage regulator but that should still give me more than enough power.

Colin55

Joined Aug 27, 2015
Measure the 9v battery. The phone will be trying to take 200mA or more and the voltage of the 9v battery will be 4v. That's your problem.