Increase of Off-topic postings - stronger measures required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
In the case of my supposedly Grave Error, I also interpret that 'Test & Measurement" does not necessarily require a physical piece of equipment, in this case it also involved software based measuring.
Max.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Maybe so, and maybe I should have been a little more judicious in posting, but what I objected to the rather high handed approach recommended, it is simple to deal with as per Eric in #14
Max.
Actually, I was going to let you have it but I didn't know what the hell you were talking about. :p:p

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I always use New Posts or Today's Posts to view this forum, and where a thread is posted makes little difference to me (except for homework), so I think that notifying the Moderators about it should be sufficient to take care of any incorrect posting locations, if it's a concern to you.
If you find an incorrect thread location irritating, then I wouldn't be surprised if you find a lot of things in life irritating. :rolleyes:
I try to let only the big things do that. :D

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
In the case of my supposedly Grave Error, I also interpret that 'Test & Measurement" does not necessarily require a physical piece of equipment, in this case it also involved software based measuring.
Max.
Well, the description of „Test & Measurement“ clearly states:

Testequipment selection, measurementtechniques, best practices (ie. oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, waveform generators, etc.)

So if the „software based measuring“ means using software to control test instruments then it’s the right place, but if it’s something like writing code to find out how long a signal on some pin on your Arduino is HIGH then not.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015

Testequipment selection, measurementtechniques, best practices (ie. oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, waveform generators, etc.)

So if the „software based measuring“ means using software to control test instruments then it’s the right place, but if it’s something like writing code to find out how long a signal on some pin on your Arduino is HIGH then not.
This strikes me as being MUCH too rigid and picayune.

To me, "measurement techniques" means precisely that: measurement techniques. I certainly don't take it as meaning, "measurement techniques (but only as related specifically to the use of laboratory instrumentation)."

The idea of penalizing people for not adhering to the latter interpretation is both absurd and abhorrent.

Wuerstchenhund

Joined Aug 31, 2017
This strikes me as being MUCH too rigid and picayune.

To me, "measurement techniques" means precisely that: measurement techniques. I certainly don't take it as meaning, "measurement techniques (but only as related specifically to the use of laboratory instrumentation)."

„Test Instruments” is a industry-wide term for specific kind of instruments so that should be clear, also that “measurement techniques” refers to the application of test instruments to gain realistic results.

The idea of penalizing people for not adhering to the latter interpretation is both absurd and abhorrent.
The description is there for a reason, and if we didn’t already have so many off-topic posts then a quick look into a group to see if similar topics are already discussed there should remove any doubts.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
People aren't civil in the real world either, does that mean we accept that as the norm and allow trolling? We moderators are paid in job satisfaction and the love of contributing our time to something we feel is worthwhile. AAC has become more of a business since most of us joined, We still enforce the rules for the owners of this site, and will continue to do so. Generally we don't make rules, but we do enforce them as we interpret them,, The member can suggest changes, but they don't set the rules either. The suggestion that @spinnaker made was right on target, so we made his post a sticky. All the moderators discussed this offline, The thread was becoming a dumping ground for all electronic questions/discussions. I speak in general, not to the specific case. As it happens,we already have a forum for that, General Electronics Chat. It is there to use. Use it correctly, as you are expected to do with all our various sub forums. Just remember a lot of what mods do is interpretation, and while we might no always get it right, we give it our best shot. Personally I have worked as a metrologist for production test equipment, so I think I am awareof some of the pitfalls in Metrology grammer.

/rant

While I can not speak for all our staff. I believe I speak for the majority in this case.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I always use New Posts or Today's Posts to view this forum, and where a thread is posted makes little difference to me (except for homework)..
Ditto. I don't burrow down by forum anymore although I did when I started here. I occasionally report a thread for moving to the proper forum but only when it's very obvious to categorize, for instance an appliance repair that belongs in "Technical Repair". So many posts cover several topics and defy pigeonholing.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I have mixed feelings concerning the slow but steady increase in specialty forums. To be blunt there is no way I can monitor a tenth of what happens here. Reports are important. Even they can be overwhelming sometimes, There is a reason we have so many moderators nowdays.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
To be blunt there is no way I can monitor a tenth of what happens here. Reports are important. Even they can be overwhelming sometimes, There is a reason we have so many moderators nowdays.
Try help moderating one of the largest International forum sites on the internet, this I have done for around 20yrs, approximately 200 forums, generally ~5000 users on line at any one time.
I think we have less moderators than AAC!
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

I think someone could very easily make the case that writing code to make measurements, particularly on hardware, falls under the category of measurement techniques. Others could point out that the implication is that the description has traditional physical test equipment in mind and that's almost certainly true; but it's also true that any short description is highly unlikely to be really be complete and exclusive. There won't be universal agreement on either side, but there doesn't have to be.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I always use New Posts or Today's Posts to view this forum, and where a thread is posted makes little difference to me (except for homework), so I think that notifying the Moderators about it should be sufficient to take care of any incorrect posting locations, if it's a concern to you.
If you find an incorrect thread location irritating, then I wouldn't be surprised if you find a lot of things in life irritating. :rolleyes:
I try to let only the big things do that. :D
While I always look at the New/Recent Posts page, too, I also have several forums that I've subscribed to so that I get an alert notification anytime any new thread is created in that forum. I would never subscribe to Off-Topic because the volume of meaningless (to me) traffic to meaningful (to me) traffic is way too high. If the same were to happen in forums I subscribe to I would unsubscribe and thus miss out on threads that are off interest to me but that might fall off the front page of the recent posts report (I seldom go to the second page). For members that only visit here weekly or less frequently, the ability to subscribe to the forums that interest them is valuable. So it IS a legitimate concern to have too many off-topic threads.

I would say that if someone feels that it is getting too much in a particular forum, then step up your reporting in that forum and, if possible, try to identify members that seem to be doing it the most. Don't engage them on the boards, just include that information in your report and give the mod staff some time to discuss it and discuss it with the member off the boards.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I believe I share the same sentiment as the other moderators.
  • We have a good number of moderators here on AAC doing a fine job.
  • We rely on members to report questionable posts.
  • Members should not engage in policing forums. Leave that to the moderation team to discuss and decide on appropriate action.
  • We don't need more rules on AAC.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One of the administrative powers we have is the ability to ban a member from a particular forum, however it is unlikely in the extreme any moderator would do something like this without a lot of discussion first. We can and do ban disruptive members immediately to calm a problem situation, then decide if the ban is permanent, or what.

We mods have a lot of private channels that regular members do not see.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
There is one thing that I don't think has been said yet. If someone has a problem with how the forum is being used or ran/moderated, they are always free to start there own forum. Somewhere else.

Then this subforum needs to be renamed. Because according to you, there should be no feedback or suggestions.

Or you are also free to not view this forum if you don't want to view feedback or suggestions. Or better start your own forum where there is no feedback or suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.