Increase dielectric breakdown voltage of cables ?

matters_100

Joined Mar 30, 2016
Hi,

For a flash lamp application, I need a high amperage (18 AWG) and high voltage cable (a few kV), however such cable are often sold in 100 ft (30m) package and I only need a few feet.
Would you think using a 18AWG cable rated for less high voltage, but with an added insulation around (probably one or multiple flexible plastic conduits), could be fine ? or would this be too dangerous ?

Thanks.
Matt

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
Hi,

For a flash lamp application, I need a high amperage (18 AWG) and high voltage cable (a few kV), however such cable are often sold in 100 ft (30m) package and I only need a few feet.
Would you think using a 18AWG cable rated for less high voltage, but with an added insulation around (probably one or multiple flexible plastic conduits), could be fine ? or would this be too dangerous ?

Thanks.
Matt
CYA.
A band-aid-now solution might be to cover the El Cheapo wire with high voltage shrink tubing, but having to explain to the lawyers, downstream, why you didn't use the proper wire in the first place might turn out to be a little tricky.

Bite the bullet, buy the proper wire, and let your dreams be sweet knowing you did the right thing.

matters_100

Joined Mar 30, 2016
Have you tried Ebay?
I admit I haven't, as I tend to have trust issues with some ebay sellers when it comes to high voltage claims. But indeed, the product I'm looking for is on ebay. I'll give it a try, making sure to properly check the cable characteristics before use.

Thanks guys.
Matt