In need of cheap surge protector recommendations for a desktop computer

Bandi

Joined Mar 18, 2017
Hello all,

My knowledge in electronics is pretty much non-existent, but for the peace of mind I'd like to pick up a surge protector for my desktop computer.
Is it pointless or even stupid to get a surge protector for a desktop PC?
Are there any cheap (around £10, £20 tops), single plug type B (UK) that would actually help if something was to go wrong in my house's circuity?

If I sound stupid, excuse me for being a noobie :)
Regards,

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Nothing about your post sounds "stupid". My view and just my view, from my side of the pond, is that if something bad is going to happen all the surge protectors out there are not going to make any difference. I really doubt any one over the counter everyday surge protector is any better than the next. I have seen some of the damage done, despite a surge protector being used. The house beside my sister's took a lightening strike. My sister's loss was only her dial up modem and her house telephones wired to the phone line. In other cases I have seen devices on the mains power (AC Line) get toasted.

Surge suppressors are pretty much all configured the same, some a little more elaborate and costly but similar in design.

Are there any cheap (around £10, £20 tops), single plug type B (UK) that would actually help if something was to go wrong in my house's circuity?
Surge protectors are designed to protect against a surge (spike, sudden increase) in AC Mains voltage to your residence. Some do include LED display(s) to alert the user of ground faults or wiring issues but their main job is to protect against a surge on the AC Mains. We have plenty of members from your side of the pond and hopefully one will weigh in with their views and a good source to purchase one. Everything in my computer room (mine and wife's computers and accessories) is on UPS back up power which includes surge protection. Had it not been there already I doubt I would bother to invest in a surge protector. Again, just my opinion.

Ron

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If I remember correctly, most power supplies in equipment sold in the EU have internal surge protection. The computer companies I worked for rigorously tested their products for the ability to survive surges as well as electrostatic discharge. Some lesser products such as inexpensive no-name peripherals are more at risk.