I'm building an adjustable power supply

Mohamad Tarabah

Joined Jul 4, 2016
Hi,
I was looking into internet for tutorials about how to make adjustable power supplies at home DIY. Unfortunately all of the videos did not help me. So I got an idea, what about connecting a dimmer switch to a rewired MOT, and then adding a full bridge rectifier ? Will I get an adjustable DC on the output if I adjust the dimmer ? ( PS: The rewired MOT is about 20 rounds so it should give ~20v max on the output ) And do you have any idea about an adjustable current limiter that's easy to do

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Yes you will get an adjustable DC output, but it will tend to be noisy, and have poor voltage regulation with a change in load.
You'd likely be better off using a linear regulator to control the voltage.
Is that 20Vac?
What's the maximum current output that you want and the adjustment range of the current-limit?

Mohamad Tarabah

Joined Jul 4, 2016
Yes you will get an adjustable DC output, but it will tend to be noisy, and have poor voltage regulation with a change in load.
You'd likely be better off using a linear regulator to control the voltage.
Is that 20Vac?
What's the maximum current output that you want and the adjustment range of the current-limit?
Yes it's 20Vac, but I don't need it so I'll directly converted to DC
For the current limiting, I need something regulated up to 5amp to not burn things up, but if I need more I'll add a switch to isolate the limiter and get the pure MOT output, so I can get up to 100 amps. So I'll just need a regulated limiter of ~5A
I'm not using an LM317 because of the current limit, it won't give me enough power, even though it's nicely smooth

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You can boost the output current of an LM317 with an added power transistor to get 5A, or use a different regulator, such as an LM338, that's capable of 5A.
But note that 5A can generate lot of heat in the regulator (over 100W for a short-circuit) so you will need a large (and likely fan-cooled heat sink.

Mohamad Tarabah

Joined Jul 4, 2016
You can boost the output current of an LM317 with an added power transistor to get 5A, or use a different regulator, such as an LM338, that's capable of 5A.
But note that 5A can generate lot of heat in the regulator (over 100W for a short-circuit) so you will need a large (and likely fan-cooled heat sink.
Nice idea, can you plz show me a circuit

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sorry to say this, Mohamad, but if you need to ask these basic questions (and you have the right to do so!) I wonder if that maximum limit of 100 Amperes is realistic from your side.

What do you intend to use the power supply for? How much power that "dimmer switch" can control?

BTW, you could burnt certain components with maybe just 1A.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello,

For a simple 5 amp supply use your transformer with a bridge rectifier, then a filter cap. Regulate that with a high current linear regulator like the LM317 but handles more current directly.
For example, the LT1083 chip which handles current up to 7.5 amps.

That's the simplest you can get.

Mohamad Tarabah

Joined Jul 4, 2016
Sorry to say this, Mohamad, but if you need to ask these basic questions (and you have the right to do so!) I wonder if that maximum limit of 100 Amperes is realistic from your side.

What do you intend to use the power supply for? How much power that "dimmer switch" can control?

BTW, you could burnt certain components with maybe just 1A.
It is realistic, i'm using an MOT, it can melt metal on 2 volts, watch youtube
I'm using a dimmer switch that can handle ~10 amps, to not burn when I connect the transformer

Mohamad Tarabah

Joined Jul 4, 2016
Hello,

For a simple 5 amp supply use your transformer with a bridge rectifier, then a filter cap. Regulate that with a high current linear regulator like the LM317 but handles more current directly.
For example, the LT1083 chip which handles current up to 7.5 amps.

That's the simplest you can get.
I'll just stick to the LM833, because 7.5 amps may burn my stuff in case I made mistakes. So I'll just stay on 5 amps

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
I'll just stick to the LM833, because 7.5 amps may burn my stuff in case I made mistakes. So I'll just stay on 5 amps
Hi,

If you are worried about the current then you should install a current limiter. The LM338 can go over 5 amps too for example. A current limit circuit would be a transistor and a couple resistors in addition to the LM or LT device.