If earth is round then why dont we slip...or fall out

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Trolling is not allowed on this site. If you are trying for humor then this would belong in off topic. The fact you quoted a math fact I hadn't worked out (8" curve per mile) means you have some idea of the scale we are talking about. Just as there are hills and valleys, there will be truly flat places on earth, but they would be a local phenomena.

If you are talking about corollas forces they too are very small.

So what is the real point of this thread?

Himanshoo

Joined Apr 3, 2015
Trolling is not allowed on this site. If you are trying for humor then this would belong in off topic. The fact you quoted a math fact I hadn't worked out (8" curve per mile) means you have some idea of the scale we are talking about. Just as there are hills and valleys, there will be truly flat places on earth, but they would be a local phenomena.

If you are talking about corollas forces they too are very small.

So what is the real point of this thread?
The point is that that for an average human to FEEL the curve of earth is impossible because human size is very small in comparison to earth(micro phenomenon as you have said)...now if suppose let us assume if the size of human would be very very large in comparison to earth as depicted in the picture (macro phenomenon) would it be then possible for him to FEEL and EXPERIENCE the curvature of earth.......?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
A lake I visit is about 7 miles long at one point. One very clear day, I could see motion on the other side and looked thru binoculars to see what it was. My first impression was that the entire marina of sailboats had sunk, because all I could see was their masts sticking above the water. It took a second to realize this was due to the curvature of the Earth. It's not a factor in everyday life but is easy to see if you look for it.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I used to visit Monterey, California, and on a clear day I could see Santa Cruz 20 miles across Monterey Bay. I could definitely see the curvature as it looked like Santa Cruz was below the water level.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
On related note you should understand that the gravitational force is not the same everywhere on the surface of the earth. My first job out of college was working for a major oil company that was doing gravity surveys. It seems that more dense rocks, like igneous rocks (lava etc), create more gravity attraction than lighter rocks like sandstone. Since there is less likely hood of oil in igneous rocks we were tasked with looking for areas of lower gravity attraction where oil would be more likely. A guy in a pickup with a gravity meter could drive around taking readings pretty cheaply and when we mapped the results large areas could be eliminated from further more expensive surveys. Kind of a weird negative result but at the time (1976) gravity meters were some of the most precise instruments around. Also nearby mountains effected the gravity field with their vertical component. A reading next to a tall mountain will be less than if the mountain was not there. BTW the defense department has mapped the surface gravity field worldwide in great detail so that cruise missiles will be able to follow along the surface without running into things. But we couldn't get that classified data so had to gather our own. Nowadays GPS has changed a lot of this and most people think of the earth as a perfect homogenous sphere. But it's not. If you are just looking to turn at Main Street GPS is fine but if you need to accurately spot an oil well within some complicated geology there's a lot more to it.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
At the risk of drawing this out too long... Not everyone agrees that WGS-84 is the proper model. It's the one used by the U.S. GPS system. But that system is highly biased towards the Western countries. Try flying a GPS route into Russia or central China and you could be half a mile away from your airport. Not a problem if you have enough altitude left when you punch through the clouds but generally not a good idea. The earth is not a perfect spheroid no matter what parameters you choose to define it. From Clark 1866 to WGS-84 they are just better approximations.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
All the "approximations" today, from the definition of a second to the spheroid we inhabit are agreed upon. When there is agreement on the next "approximation model", it will become the "new" standard.

Yes, I know there is a difference. You can take a GPS on this side of the pond to a known location and be very close to the marked position, yet, travel to Greenwich England to the prime meridian, and not be as accurate. The prime meridian in Greenwich is 100 meters in error, as WGS84 uses the IERS prime meridian. Like all systems, there are errors. Most GPS receivers has the local "offsets" which you can use by changing your country in the receiver. I know that solved a problem in Greenland recently by some people attempting to document their search for a down aircraft from WWII.

Models are not absolutes. Some satisfy the end user's requirements and some don't.

Last edited:

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
again...just for scale.
if the earth were the size of a model globe(basketball size). The lowest 30 miles of atmosphere; the one with 90% of the air, would be about the thickness of a coat of paint. between 1 or 2 thousands of an inch. .001"-.002".
any being large enough to see the curvature of the earth would have his head in outer space and breath total vacuum. :)

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Gravity, gravity, gravity.

If the earth were the size of a basket ball, gravitational force would be so weak there would be no atmosphere. No being would stick to the earth.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
for SCALE.

Not sale, scale. To help one visualize a concept.

put one of those little plastic armymen toy figures on a globe and realize that such a being, while capable of seeing the curvature of the PLANET EARTH, would have his whole body in a vacuum and only the soles of his shoes would reside in breathable atmosphere.

where ever did you get the idea that I meant an actual physical object of such size. Jeez people! Scale!
:)