Identifying and installing resistors

poplewis

Joined Jan 7, 2022
I am replacing a 2 post 4 way rotary switch used to control the speed of a conveyor motor. Of the 12 pins around the circumference the first 5 have 4 resistors of gradually increasing resistance soldered between them. My question is this: When installing a resistor does it matter which end is soldered to which pin? & when identifying them how do you know which color stripe is the first and which is the last?

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
It doesn't matter which way a resistor is oriented when soldered between the pins.
Post a close up photo of the switch and resistors.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
how do you know which color stripe is the first and which is the last?
The colors for digits and the colors for tolerances are not the same. The end with a gold or silver ring is the tolerance end. The component value starts at the other end.

ak

poplewis

Joined Jan 7, 2022
If you want to know the resistor values yes. Do you have a multi meter?
IMG_2062.jpgI do have a multi meter and I have identified the resistors. The reason for my asking the questions I asked is because a. one of the resistors on the old switch is facing opposite the other three and I was curious as to why and b. If I didn't know what value the resistor should have how would I know how to enter the stripe color into an identifier for example a 1.5 k resistor stripes entered into the identifier backwards ID's the resistor as 11.0 k
If you want to know the resistor values yes. Do you have a multi meter?
Mod:Lightened your image.E

IMG_2062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
There are a few variations on the resistor markings, depending on the tolerance.
Here is a picture found on line.....

1641597404610.png
The top one has 2 digits then a multiplier, so, for example, yellow-violet-red would be 4-7-x100 = 4700 ohms. Often written as 4.7K or 4K7ohms.
The next couple have 3 digits, as for the 1% types, an extra digit is needed to fit the numbers.
so, yellow-red-black-brown = 4-7-0-x10 = 4700.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
In your photo, it looks to me to be brown-green-black-brown, then a slightly wider space, brown.
So, 1-5-0-x10-1%, 1.5K 1%.
It is a bit hard to tell the direction on that one.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The reason for my asking the questions I asked is because a. one of the resistors on the old switch is facing opposite the other three and I was curious as to why
Resistors aren't polarized. I'd take the time to orient them the same way, but I'm not most people.
If I didn't know what value the resistor should have how would I know how to enter the stripe color into an identifier for example a 1.5 k resistor stripes entered into the identifier backwards ID's the resistor as 11.0 k
Backwards, it would be brown brown black green red, or 110x10^5 = 11M.

BTW, that's a pretty gnarly soldering job...

poplewis

Joined Jan 7, 2022
It looks like the resistors are connected from one terminal to the next, so it would make sense if each resistor was the same value. There's a calculator here if it helps - https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/resistor-color-code-calculator/
It looks like the resistors values increase in succession .68 / 1.0 / 1.5 / 2.7 The calculator did help me confirm what the meter was telling me. I think I'm good to go on this project. Thank you all for your input. I really appreciate it. I hope you don't mind me popping in from time to time with my simple questions.

poplewis

Joined Jan 7, 2022
Resistors aren't polarized. I'd take the time to orient them the same way, but I'm not most people.
Backwards, it would be brown brown black green red, or 110x10^5 = 11M.

BTW, that's a pretty gnarly soldering job...
OK, OK please forgive my lack of soldering expertise. I agree with your orientation perfectionism. Had it been done as you suggest originally I wouldn't have been here asking these questions. On that note I thank you all one last time and bid you a fond farewell.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
1641610886889.png

It is difficult to tell the colors in that photo.
Tell us what colors you see and maybe we can figure out the value.
Perhaps it is:
purple-green-black- brown = 7500Ω

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The common reason for orienting resistors in a specific direction is for convenience in reading the color codes. Electrically it does not matter, as others have stated.
One other thing is that for most resistors the measured value will not be quite the marked value. For10% tolerance resistors the value will seldom be within 5% of the marked value because those within 5% are sold as 5% tolerance resistors. So marking bins by measured value will provide a great deal of confusion for those looking for a marked value. Seeing 97.5K on a drawer does not immediately register as "100K" when searching for a specific value.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I have seen those impossible-to-read resistors on these forums but they look very different to European and American resistors that are easy to see. Years ago I saw resistors from China with the colors hand-painted. Are these 1% ones also from China?