Identifying and installing resistors

poplewis

Joined Jan 7, 2022
It doesn't matter which way a resistor is oriented when soldered between the pins.
Post a close up photo of the switch and resistors.
Thank you sghioto, I can't believe the amount of good advise and tutelage I've received on this site. To you and the All About Circuits crowd, THANK YOU! Our speed control switch is once again operational.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Resistor orientation is an appearance and readability issue, not a functional one. So there is a reason to have them in a specific direction but it is not a functional issue.

poplewis

Joined Jan 7, 2022
Resistor orientation is an appearance and readability issue, not a functional one. So there is a reason to have them in a specific direction but it is not a functional issue.
I understand. If its some electronic wizardry or my simple speed control switch, If your a professional your work should look professional. I did in fact orient them all the same. Thank you for covering all the bases.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I orient my resistors and similar components in a particular way (if it is not polarity sensitive) because I am OCD.
I place them so that I can read the colours in a certain order, left to right.
Non-polar capacitors and diodes are mounted so that I can read the markings.

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
I recently confused a 10ohm resistor for a 1000ohm resistor since the red and black bands are reversed. While breadboarding I now place the tolerance band of a resistor towards myself (down) or to the right. Likewise I designate signal ground towards myself or to the right (unless it creates an unnecessary loop). I also try to orient all components in similar patterns. I find doing this allows me to commit my circuits to visual memory a lot better so I don't have to keep looking at the connections and second guessing myself when there is a mess of wires. Long ago I seen some guy on TV that was able to remember something like 20 different people's names (who he never met) and their favorite animal and then recite them perfectly in a row. He said his tactic was to associate one memory with another so that each memory in his brain was no longer a singular thought. I've found this to be a great tool for memorizing all kinds of things like names, events and locations.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The reason that making it easy to clearly identify parts is that a lot of equipment is worth repairing, and it makes repairing a bit easier. Of course there is also a lot of stuff that is never intended to be repaired because it is not worth repairing, at least in the minds of the producers.
Many times it is obvious on inspection, even before purchasing the stuff.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I like to align components when feasible. I use a lead bending jig so the bodies align and I place the markings for axial caps and diodes on top so they're readable.
EDIT: added axial.
1643992082573.png

This is a power supply for a DIY Willem EPROM programmer.
1643991816185.png

Last edited: