Identifying a few parts on this schematic

Load2010

Joined Jul 31, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm rather new to this, and I've never seen a few parts on this schematic. I searched through sparkfuns guide on schematic symbols, but couldn't find what these few were. I pointed them out with black arrows, but I'll also describe part of what I'm talking about. I haven't been able to figure out why some ends are red while other are highlighted in green. The other pieces I can't seem to find. I assume that the red is supposed to connect with red, except that there are multiples and they don't have matching numbers.

Much appreciated,
J

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Hello everyone. I'm rather new to this, and I've never seen a few parts on this schematic.
Much appreciated,
J
U generally refers to an IC which can be looked up with a search, the Q usually refers to an inductor, but in this case as mentioned, appears to be a relay coil where it would be the custom to label it R(#) normally.
Edit: Make that RL =relay.
Max.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Do you happen to know why certain wires are marked red and others green?
Color coding schematics is generally pointless.

Do us a favor next time and print those fritzing in black and white before posting. Anyone who can read a schematic can identify terminals that are connected and those that aren't.

Load2010

Joined Jul 31, 2017
Color coding schematics is generally pointless.

Do us a favor next time and print those fritzing in black and white before posting. Anyone who can read a schematic can identify terminals that are connected and those that aren't.
I actually found this on a project website and I was trying to figure out if it meant anything. This isn't my schematic.

Load2010

Joined Jul 31, 2017
U generally refers to an IC which can be looked up with a search, the Q usually refers to an inductor, but in this case as mentioned, appears to be a relay coil where it would be the custom to label it R(#) normally.
Edit: Make that RL =relay.
Max.
Thank you! In the far right corner there's a D1
1N4007
I looked up the 1N4007 and found that it's a rectifier diode. Does the D normally stand for something like the U and Q do?

Thanks,
J

recklessrog

Joined May 23, 2013
The "inductor" could be a solenoid, with an iron core that pulls in when the coil is energised.
The other thing it could be is a permanent magnet attached to the coil to prevent saturation, the double arrows may indicate the north/south pole orientation, but I'm more inclined to think it is a solenoid like an electro-mechanical door lock etc.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Does the D normally stand for something like the U and Q do?
In older schematics, CR was used instead of D for diodes.

IC is sometimes used instead of U for Integrated Circuits.

T is sometimes used for transistors instead of Q.

Sometimes LEDs are designated as D, sometimes it's LED (e.g. LED1).

Load2010

Joined Jul 31, 2017
The "inductor" could be a solenoid, with an iron core that pulls in when the coil is energised.
The other thing it could be is a permanent magnet attached to the coil to prevent saturation, the double arrows may indicate the north/south pole orientation, but I'm more inclined to think it is a solenoid like an electro-mechanical door lock etc.
Yes, you're right. There is a solenoid in the design. I found a finished product, and I'll link it so that everyone can
Yes, there is supposed to be a solenoid in the design so I think you're right. I found an image of the finished product that I'm going to link so everyone can see more clearly. Thank you!
Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you since there is supposed to be a solenoid somewhere in there. I'm going to link an image of a finished product I found so everyone can see more clearly. Thank you! Why would there be a diode connected to both terminals of the solenoid?

Regards,
J