Ideas and suggestions needed for a wireless electrical switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Hi everyone, its Barry here I haven't been here for a while as I have been very busy working on a tough project.

Well I'm calling out for your help again, I am trying to build a circuit that has a circular matrix of about 40 traffic light LED's (green, amber, Red) the LED's are supposed to light up in sequence (green to amber to red) in response to a signal but as a relative novice I simply cannot figure out how to make this happen, I've looked at counters, I have looked at A-stable vibrators and even the good old 555 and nothing seems to work, does anyone have a chip or a particular chip configuration (with a clear explanation) that could solve this problem ?

The second problem is I need a simple wireless switch to initiate this sequence, more specifically I need a switch that will trigger the sequence above when it detects the correct radio frequency (that is the signal). I understand that this is quite a detailed problem so I would be very grateful to anyone who has the expertise and would be good enough to take the time to share their knowledge and give a detailed answer, theoretical or practical.

Thank You all so much.

Barry

thumb2

Joined Oct 4, 2015
A passband filter centered at the carrier frequency will (using the therm you used) already detect the correct radio frequency.
What you have to do is to demodulate the modulated signal and interpret the information received.

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
A passband filter centered at the carrier frequency will (using the therm you used) already detect the correct radio frequency.
What you have to do is to demodulate the modulated signal and interpret the information received.

Thank you very much for your reply thumb2.

However could you elaborate a little, as stated I am something of a novice. A pass band filter can control the frequencies entering but are you saying that there is no standard switch to light up the LED's in the necessary sequence ? That I would have to somehow program a specific switch or I.C to do this ? If this is the case can you please recommend some switches or I.Cs that could be used for this purpose.

I'm sorry to be so rigorous but I have learning difficulties and so it takes a lot for me to be able to fully understand things.

Thank You again

Barry

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
What is a circular matrix?
Show us the schematic of the circular matrix. Do all lite in sequence...or just 3 at a time like a traffic lite?

I don't understand your setup.....or what it's supposed to do.

How far does the signal need to travel? Many more details are needed.

Are there different on times for different colors?

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
What is a circular matrix?
Show us the schematic of the circular matrix. Do all lite in sequence...or just 3 at a time like a traffic lite?

I don't understand your setup.....or what it's supposed to do.

How far does the signal need to travel? Many more details are needed.

Are there different on times for different colors?

All I mean by circular matrix is just a circular arrangement of LED'S and yes they do light up in sequence. I am a keen aviation enthusiast and this device is basically intended to help detect the position of aircraft's by homing in on their VOR signals. When the device detects an approaching aircraft the signal is received by the antenna it then lights up an LED for instance green when the aircraft is at a distance of five miles, then amber when it gets a little closer and then RED when it gets very close.

What I really need to know is what is the best way of taking my antenna signal and then using it to light up my LED'S in the necessary sequence ?
It seems that counters would not be the best choice for this, someone suggested a multivibrator but I don't know if that would be appropriate either.

I have no schematics as this project is still in development.

Your input is very much appreciated

Barry

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
All I mean by circular matrix is just a circular arrangement of LED'S and yes they do light up in sequence. I am a keen aviation enthusiast and this device is basically intended to help detect the position of aircraft's by homing in on their VOR signals. When the device detects an approaching aircraft the signal is received by the antenna it then lights up an LED for instance green when the aircraft is at a distance of five miles, then amber when it gets a little closer and then RED when it gets very close.

What I really need to know is what is the best way of taking my antenna signal and then using it to light up my LED'S in the necessary sequence ?
It seems that counters would not be the best choice for this, someone suggested a multivibrator but I don't know if that would be appropriate either.

I have no schematics as this project is still in development.

Your input is very much appreciated

Barry

I would use a peak detector circuit but replace the reset switch with a high value resistor to make an envelope filter. The weak, medium, strong output of the envelope filter can be your near, medium and far signals triggering LEDs with three comparitors.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Do you mean the leds are arranged like spokes on a wheel? Please draw a picture.
I would arrange them like a tachometer, why do you suggest spokes? What order would you light them up? I cannot think of a sequence that would be intuitive.

Robert Murphy

Joined Oct 17, 2015
He's already started another thread stating his disappointment with input received.

I really don't know what he expects as many of you fine members have tried to help.

Robert Murphy

Joined Oct 17, 2015
I did a brief look up of VOR and from a quick read it seems the aircraft receive these signals from a base station that indicates the angle (bearing) the aircraft is relative to the base station. I couldn't find any reference to aircraft transmitting these signals and whether any distance information is contained within.

Quoted from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHF_omnidirectional_range

A VOR ground station sends out an omnidirectional master signal, and a highly directional second signal is propagated by a phased antenna array and rotates clockwise in space 30 times a second. This signal is timed so that its phase (compared to the master) varies as the secondary signal rotates, and this phase difference is the same as the angular direction of the 'spinning' signal, (so that when the signal is being sent 90 degrees clockwise from north, the signal is 90 degrees out of phase with the master). By comparing the phase of the secondary signal with the master, the angle (bearing) to the aircraft from the station can be determined. This line of position is called the "radial" from the VOR. The intersection of radials from two different VOR stations can be used to fix the position of the aircraft, as in earlier radio direction finding (RDF) systems

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I had no idea. Well......Barry.....not to insult you but........I do not want to help you build a circuit that is used in an airplane.

That's not a hobby.

Robert Murphy

Joined Oct 17, 2015
Is there a system available for personal detection, identification and querying of aircraft ?

Unless aircraft transmit GPS co-ordinates and identification that are receivable by anyone I do not think what the OP proposes is possible.

Aircraft instrumentation should be left to those that have the proper knowledge.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Is there a system available for personal detection, identification and querying of aircraft ?

Unless aircraft transmit GPS co-ordinates and identification that are receivable by anyone I do not think what the OP proposes is possible.

Aircraft instrumentation should be left to those that have the proper knowledge.
Why aren't you outside enjoying the nice weather? Please make a post in the "how's the weather" thread in the Off-topic sub thread. I just noticed your Sydney location.

Status
Not open for further replies.