Ideas and suggestions needed for a wireless electrical switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
I would arrange them like a tachometer, why do you suggest spokes? What order would you light them up? I cannot think of a sequence that would be intuitive.
Thank You very much for your assistance, so far you have been one of the few members who has actually posted genuinely helpful replies instead of patronizing or extremely vague ones.

Regards

Barry

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
He's already started another thread stating his disappointment with input received.

I really don't know what he expects as many of you fine members have tried to help.

Why are you spamming my posts ?

I checked the posts and until today you did not leave any reply and even when you did it was to try and bully me into apologizing.

Barry

Robert Murphy

Joined Oct 17, 2015
Why are you spamming my posts ?

I checked the posts and until today you did not leave any reply and even when you did it was to try and bully me into apologizing.

Barry
You want to go there ?

I did leave a response, but upon coming across the original thread I changed my response.

Just on two weeks ago you started a thread asking the same question, members responded and tried to get information out of you.
Being pulled up on your actions is not bullying, having bad behaviour pointed out is not bullying. What you need to realise is that you may not get the answers and number of responses you feel is adequate, there is no rule stating that a thread must answered in a certain time period and with a certain number of responses. Everyone should be grateful for the responses that they do get.

Once again I put it to you an apology is warranted, especially to those that tried to help.

As it was, it was not a "Wireless Electrical Switch" you were wanting to construct, it was a device to track aircraft. If you actually describe what you are intending to construct it you may get the answers you require.

A VOR signal is transmitted by a base station to an aircraft, the aircraft receives this signal and can work out it's bearing from the base station, the aircraft does not transmit this signal, an aircraft can receive signals from 2 base stations and work out it's position from those received signals.
It remains unclear how you would calculate how far another aircraft is away from you using a VOR signal.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I am a keen aviation enthusiast and this device is basically intended to help detect the position of aircraft's by homing in on their VOR signals.
Aircraft do not generate, produce, radiate, or transmit a VOR signal. An aircraft does not transmit any signal that lets its position be "detected". Even if it did, you would need two directional receivers (one for azimuth and one for bearing) to determine the approach vector - AND - that still would not tell you its distance.

This is why the aliens gave us RADAR.

For how long have you been a keen aviation enthusiast?

ak

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
If by SSR you mean secondary surveillance radar, I intentionally left out anything related to the transponder to qualify his response.

No, it was (is) aliens. I know this in the only possible way.

ak

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
You want to go there ?

I did leave a response, but upon coming across the original thread I changed my response.

Just on two weeks ago you started a thread asking the same question, members responded and tried to get information out of you.
Being pulled up on your actions is not bullying, having bad behaviour pointed out is not bullying. What you need to realise is that you may not get the answers and number of responses you feel is adequate, there is no rule stating that a thread must answered in a certain time period and with a certain number of responses. Everyone should be grateful for the responses that they do get.

Once again I put it to you an apology is warranted, especially to those that tried to help.

As it was, it was not a "Wireless Electrical Switch" you were wanting to construct, it was a device to track aircraft. If you actually describe what you are intending to construct it you may get the answers you require.

A VOR signal is transmitted by a base station to an aircraft, the aircraft receives this signal and can work out it's bearing from the base station, the aircraft does not transmit this signal, an aircraft can receive signals from 2 base stations and work out it's position from those received signals.
It remains unclear how you would calculate how far another aircraft is away from you using a VOR signal.

Now you see if you would have responded like that in the first place I wouldn't have had to re-post the article. If you are going to respond then respond with conviction and clarity otherwise you are wasting my time and yours. As stated I have been doing electronics for less than a year I have a huge amount to learn and everyday is a new experience. I appreciate the inputs of everyone who has something useful to contribute even if it is only to rectify my mistakes.

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Aircraft do not generate, produce, radiate, or transmit a VOR signal. An aircraft does not transmit any signal that lets its position be "detected". Even if it did, you would need two directional receivers (one for azimuth and one for bearing) to determine the approach vector - AND - that still would not tell you its distance.

This is why the aliens gave us RADAR.

For how long have you been a keen aviation enthusiast?

ak
That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard, if "An aircraft does not transmit any signal that lets its position be "detected" then how can it be picked up on RADAR, surely its transponder must be detectable ?

Barry

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Would you care to elaborate ?
Your the pro, I'm the newbie and you want me to elaborate ?

OK ill give it a shot. It just so happens that WW2 is an interest of mine and I am well aware that the allied forces used systems such as the Huff Duff to detect enemy vessels.However it seems that phase comparison systems are the order of the day now.

Barry

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Barry, I didn't mean to insult you. I am only qualified to design amateur ham band circuits. I also have a commercial license allowing me to adjust, repair and maintain commercial radio. But not to design them....and that includes airplane circuits.

It's not like an am radio receiver........where if it fails......you just miss music. If this circuit fails, people might die....or you might interfere with existing equipment. Just a receiver can emit interference.

You really need to know what your doing with it.

Have you ever investigated ham radio?

Robert Murphy

Joined Oct 17, 2015
If your are referring to phase comparisons ie VOR that is simply used for the aircraft to determine their bearing relative to the base station that is transmitting, if an aircraft picks up two signals they can work their OWN position based on the bearing information. Picking up a single signal does not include any distance information, only bearing information. Neither does it give the aircraft that picks up that signal any information regarding other aircraft in the vicinity.
Your proposal to use a VOR signal for your project is unsuitable.

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
If your are referring to phase comparisons ie VOR that is simply used for the aircraft to determine their bearing relative to the base station that is transmitting, if an aircraft picks up two signals they can work their OWN position based on the bearing information. Picking up a single signal does not include any distance information, only bearing information. Neither does it give the aircraft that picks up that signal any information regarding other aircraft in the vicinity.
Your proposal to use a VOR signal for your project is unsuitable.

But surely all modern radars must give out some kind of vector information, if not then how do ATC create safe separation ?

Then there is the matter of the Black box beacon it must give out direction information, take the case of flight 447 which disappeared in 2009, with the wreckage thousands of meters beneath the Atlantic ocean. Now before you all jump on me and say that the battery went dead after thirty days and it took them nearly three years to find it and ETC, ETC yes I know all of that but my point is even before the battery went dead the investigators were able to home in on the vicinity of the signal, now if aircraft tracking is not feasible then how do you explain that ?

Barry

Barrythecableguy

Joined Jun 14, 2016
Barry, I didn't mean to insult you. I am only qualified to design amateur ham band circuits. I also have a commercial license allowing me to adjust, repair and maintain commercial radio. But not to design them....and that includes airplane circuits.

It's not like an am radio receiver........where if it fails......you just miss music. If this circuit fails, people might die....or you might interfere with existing equipment. Just a receiver can emit interference.

You really need to know what your doing with it.

Have you ever investigated ham radio?

I understand that you HAMS are bound by strict regulations so I wont push you, but I would be very surprised if a receiver could cause any significant interference, if this were the case then planes would be falling out of the sky left and right every time someone used a scanner.

Regards

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.