IDE tools and compiler for debugging C code

Dadu@

Joined Feb 4, 2022
Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I am interested to know from you that how did you learn C language by debugging code on computer. I use windows operating system on my computer.

Which software IDE tool did you use to debug the C code running on the computer?

Would you recommend Visual Studio for debugging C code on computer ?
The most popular option for Windows would be VS Code. It's free, open source, and cross platform. It can use many programming toolsets from C and C++ to Python to Javascript and many more. It would be good to start with since it is so widely used and versatile.

It does have a learning curve and the first impressions can be intimidating but perseverance will be rewarded.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
have you used it for debugging C language code ?
I don't write in C except to patch existing code and writing small utility programs. The VS Code environment, though, is built by end users because it is modular, Languages and the toolchains for them are supported because people want and need them, and there is more than one option for anything popular. When I have to use C, I do it with Vim and gcc, so I am not a good example, but people I trust very much about these things, and who are actually resistant to anything related to Microsoft and GUIs have embraced it. Were I looking to start programming in C/C++ for more than utility reasons (and not for the Arduino environment) I would sure use VS Code.

Dadu@

Joined Feb 4, 2022
I'm a big fan of code::blocks

It is free, open source, and available on other Operating systems.

I use it for all of my C programming.

For getting started, have a look here
I have successfully installed code block on my computer. I also compiled and debugged the code. I can watch variable value but I don't understand how to watch variable address with variable value.

How do you watch variable address with variable value ?

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I am interested to know from you that how did you learn C language by debugging code on computer. I use windows operating system on my computer.

Which software IDE tool did you use to debug the C code running on the computer?

Would you recommend Visual Studio for debugging C code on computer ?
To learn C I think Visual Studio community edition is superb. It's free too. This tool has been used for a long time to develop in C and C++ on Windows and supports a huge range of options and language standards.

In addition you can later install Visual GDB - a 3rd party product (and very good too) - as an extension for Visual Studio and then you can write and debug C code running on many microcontroller boards too.

This would let you learn C itself by writing and debugging simple apps that run on Windows and then use that knowledge to write C for MCU boards.