I want to design 8bit counter circuit using by cascading 74*163 ic

Atakan Şişman

Joined Dec 17, 2016
Why do you want to do this instead of just using an 8-bit counter IC?

Is this a homework assignment of some kind?
it is not homework, exam question %70, if i understand correctly, i will do exam. I get it 5-15 or 0-13 however i dont understand unfortunately 33-77 and ı have not example and i didn't understand datasheet

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
First, you cannot have any input pins unconnected, so each pin of P1-P4 of both chips must be tied either high or low. This is how you force the counter to start counting at 33.

Second, the 163 is a binary counter, but your description of the counting sequence looks like decimal. 33 hex and 33 decimal (and 77 hex and 77 decimal) are very different bit patterns. Which one do you want to use?

ak

Atakan Şişman

Joined Dec 17, 2016
First, you cannot have any input pins unconnected, so each pin of P1-P4 of both chips must be tied either high or low. This is how you force the counter to start counting at 33.

Second, the 163 is a binary counter, but your description of the counting sequence looks like decimal. 33 hex and 33 decimal (and 77 hex and 77 decimal) are very different bit patterns. Which one do you want to use?

ak
33 is 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
77 is 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1
Assume that, cep,cet p3 connected 5v and other ic cep,cet p2 5v
Nand output connected first ic load , is it true?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
it is not homework, exam question %70, if i understand correctly, i will do exam. I get it 5-15 or 0-13 however i dont understand unfortunately 33-77 and ı have not example and i didn't understand datasheet
Well, "exam question" qualifies as homework of some kind, so this is not a project, but rather something that belongs in Homework Help (where you will probably get better assistance).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Break your problem into three steps.

1) Make an 8-bit counter that simply free runs from 0 to 255 repeatedly. If you can't get this part working, then there's not much point even attempting anything fancier; so this is your starting point.

2) Make your 8-bit counter reset back to 0 when it reaches a desired ending count of your choice.

3) Make your 8-bit counter start at a desired count instead of 0.

You can do (2) and (3) in whichever order makes the most sense to you.

Before throwing circuits together, be sure that you can explain to someone else at about your level of education what the idea is behind how you are solving each step of the problem.