I Think Its A mini IC Pulse Wave driven tesla coil / emf generator?

rcullens

Joined Apr 26, 2008
Hello all,

I have disassembled a chinese made handheld fluorescent light / neon tube tester. It looks like a pulse generator with three output wires to a sealed/epoxied box that then would output to a single wire attached to an antenna. I was wondering if anyone on here had any insight on these as i am very curious now. Oh and what is does is allows you to energize the fluorescent bulb when its out of the socket. It glows.

Thanks in advance

Pics below if they will let me attach them.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
(It has an NE555 oscillator.)

Any high frequency (with enough power) radiated through the air will light up a fluorescent tube or a neon bulb. That's what you're looking at.

Back when us dinosaurs roamed the Earth, I would attach an NE-2 neon bulb (with the leads amputated) to a plastic rod and hold it near the horizontal output section of a CRT style television. With that, I could find out which sections were working.

Last edited:

rcullens

Joined Apr 26, 2008
Ok so what would the connections in the black ox be? There are three input wires from the oscillator The two white wires Ohm out shorted and that leaves the red input. Then there is only 1 output wire which is the other red one that was attached to the antenna. What would a simple schematic of this look?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The black box is a voltage booster to drive the antenna. It will need a power wire, an oscillator signal, and a ground wire. That make 3 wires, right?

Attachments