I Need Some Advice about AC Adapters

wpman1

Joined Jan 21, 2008
Hi guys:

This is my first post. I'm not very keen on electronics, so I figured I'd best find a good electronics forum and pose my question.

I have a Toshiba LCD TV monitor. I've had the monitor about 3.5 years. Lately the set has been powering off after about 30 minutes. I did some searching on the Internet and found that the AC adapter pack for some Toshiba monitors were defective and subject to powering off. I've had no luck in finding an OEM Toshiba adapter on Ebay or other sources. I have found some generic adapters that claim to be suitable replacements.

The thing that concerns me is the on the back of my Toshiba TAA-Y58 adapter it reads "Output 19V---3.4A".. The specs for the generic adapter reads "Output 19V---3.5A".

Okay, the dummy question from me-- Is the very slight difference between 3.4A and 3.5A something that I should be very concerned about? I guess "A" refers to amps, although I have no idea what it means in the context of powering a device such as a TV monitor.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

techroomt

Joined May 19, 2004
a load (monitor) will draw what current the system's circuits require to operate. so assuming the original ac adapter was adequate for the device, an adapter with more current capability will work fine, it will just have more power to spare.