i need help varicap(varactor)

Discussion in 'Test & Measurement Forum' started by michael1978, Feb 11, 2018.

1. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    hello to everyboyd , can somebody help, how to connect varicap to make 500 of 1000 pf
    i connect from this example

and i connect and i get .300 to .400µ

2. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    Forward biasing the diode will get you greater capacitance but the operation will be different. My suggestion is don't meter across the varicap diode, it won't give the right answer. Put the diode in your tuned circuit and bbserve the change in resonant frequency. AND, check the diode maker's website for application information. and a test circuit. Usually the published test circuit will deliver the published specification performance.

3. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Do you mean that i put forward biased the diode, i will check one more time
    i want to measure the capacitance of varicap
    http://electronics-diy.com/varicaps.php
    i try also like this, but i dont see nothing change

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018 at 3:31 AM
  4. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    When the diode is forward biased the control characteristics change a lot. But that was with a different model varicap diode. It may not work with the diode that you have.
    Also, it is quite possible that your diode is not capable of that much capacitance. So once again I am suggesting to use the test circuit suggested by the manufacturer. In addition, not all capacitance measuring meters are able to check varicap diodes. My suggestion of checking it using a tuned circuit still stands. Or are you intending to use the varicap in some other type of circuit?

5. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hi m model is BB205 varicap, so i have just simple multimter, i look in internet how to test it , i can find, of the varicap wrok for FM or AM

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

The BB205 looks like a UHF varicap to me, as the capacitance range is from about 2.2 to 12.5 pF.
    See the attached pdf for more info.

Bertus

7. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    I've seen an AM preselector project using a couple of parallel TO220 style Schottky rectifiers - they almost managed the whole MW band.

8. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    Such a small change in capacitance may be below the resolution of the measuring device. That would make it hard to see.

9. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    I have replaced the Varicap in a CB radio frequency synthesizer with a 100 volt power diode, but it was only a 500Ma rated diode. Many diodes will work, some much better tghan others, and some are much more temperature stable. Idon't think that the application for this one has ever been mentioned, and the application is oten important in selecting a component.

10. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hello
    for example i have bb205G i forget i ask it welke model, how i can adjust the size of capacitans, can somebody tell me what is the formula, i see
    i connect back to back to 9 v and is see 10p and i change he go to 22p, i need to make 150pf

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 6:25 AM
  11. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    but i go to electronics shop i told me the are for tunning

12. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    ooh man i dont know i ask it in electronics shop he told they are for tunnig

13. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

In the attached PDF you will find information on the varicap and how to use them in tuned circuits.

Bertus

• an9.pdf
      File size:
      239.2 KB
      Views:
  14. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    Thank You, Bertus! I was going to look those formulas up and send them. Tuning is certainly theprimary application of varicap diodes, the only other place I have seen them used is in a balanced modulator used for generating sideband signals as part of a transmitter. Also, the only way that I have ever been able to check them is with a tuned circuit, noting the change in resonant frequency.

15. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

When you want to know more about mixer applications, have a look at the attached PDF's.

Bertus

michael1978 likes this.
  16. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    thank you very much....;-)

17. ian field

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 27, 2012
    The varicap effect is due to higher reverse voltage making the depletion layer wider and causing lower capacitance - most diode types do it.

Varicap diodes have guaranteed parameters when used for that purpose - power rectifiers that might give you the capacitance you want, likely have only vague references on the data sheet for reverse bias capacitance, probably only 2 or 3 measurement points.

18. Audioguru

Expert

Dec 20, 2007
    Michael, why are you using a BB205 varactor diode made for tuning UHF frequencies that has a maximum capacitance of only a few pF but you need 150pF?
    I think many years ago there were high capacitance varactor diodes made for tuning an AM radio.

19. MisterBill2

Jan 23, 2018
    Ian F is certainly correct about power diodes not being specified very well for varicap service. But the one that I tried has worked very well in a CB radio for over ten years. And since I had no specifications for the one that I replaced, even a good spec sheet would not have helped me much. So tying and seeing is a way to go if no adequate data is available. And in my case the power diodes were on hand and free.

20. michael1978

Thread Starter Member

Jun 29, 2014
    is for FM/TV tun ing i test the diode i read old book, abc of varactor,and i make a circuit like in book to measure capacitance, but hi change the value i dont understang nothing, some times is good tot 300 450pf, soms to 1000 to 1500p, i dont know maybe my multimter is not working