I need help to better understand this inverter circuit configuration

Alexandros81

Joined Feb 14, 2017
Hi.
I intent to design an built a solar inverter circuit. Having no knowledge in inverters I did a
google search and I found the http://www.homemade-circuits.com/ website.
I followed the http://www.homemade-circuits.com/2016/09/simple-ic-555-inverter-circuit.html link.

I designed bit by bit this circuit in LTspice and run several simulations so to make it work.

For a start I would need your help to better understand the totem-pole configuration after
the 555 timer. I am uploading three ltspice files and some pdf's schematic drawings.
What is the difference between the two configurations of the totem-pole circuit? (between test2 and test3)
Feel free to make notes in pdf files.

Attachments

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
In my opinion, repeaters on bipolar transistors are not needed. The timer is able to control the FET. When switching it can give and receive 200 mA. If you still want to use a repeater, then there is no need for 10 kΩ resistors.
And further. I'm not sure that you need such a single-ended inverter!
Totem-Pole_new.png

Attachments

Alexandros81

Joined Feb 14, 2017
To: Bordodynov
Ok but do I need the bjt totem-pole circuit for the hole inverter(see attached thumbnail)?
for the inverter circuit the two mosfets are driving the tranformer.
Do you mean I don't need this inverter circuit for a solar inverter design?

Attachments

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
Where did you find such a very bad scheme? It will not work properly and will quickly release smoke! I think that this scheme provocation (sabotage)!

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The schematic you have is garbage, it's not a real, useful design for a practical inverter.

Have a look at the guts of a commercial inverter- you can see how complex it is, not a project for a hobbyist.

inv.png

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
To: Bordodynov
Ok but do I need the bjt totem-pole circuit for the hole inverter(see attached thumbnail)?
for the inverter circuit the two mosfets are driving the tranformer.
Do you mean I don't need this inverter circuit for a solar inverter design?
I wouldn't waste my time with a 555, use a TL494, deadicated chip with complimentary pushpull outputs.

Alexandros81

Joined Feb 14, 2017
Having taken a fast look at tl494 and the related technical documents what else do I need to
gradually build up my knowledge in order to achieve making a solar inverter?
I want gradually to built up hardware also.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If you look at the datasheet, there is a circuit for an inverter oscillator, or google will give you better results, you need to work out what output voltage you need and what current you want, that will dictate the mosfets and output transformer.

Here's one with adjustable frequency and pwm, it can be improved by monitoring the 230V output.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
LTspiceXVII keeps the libraries and symbols element in miscellaneous folder. You have disposed its personal information in not that folder.
Something like:
C:\User\user name\....LTspiceXVII\lib...
This problem discussed on this forum, denoted LTspiceXVII.
The Quoting from the other forum (https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/t...ghts.128680/):
I wanted to try it with some of my existing circuits. Being lazy I figured that I would just rename the .Lib folder in the LTspice XVII directory and then copy my .Lib from the older LTspice IV folder.

Well, the copied folder was not found even when I restarted LTspice XVII. After a bunch of tooth grinding, I found that even though the .Lib folder is in the LTspice XVII folder, the .Lib folder _actually_ used is in the C\:Users\Richard\Documents\LTspiceXVII folder on my PC.