I need help on building a 5kVA Automatic Voltage regulator

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
Hello guys,
I need urgent help on a working design and how to construct a 5kVa Automatic Voltage regulator, with minimum voltage of input voltage of 60V and output Voltage of 220/230V.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Ok, so you want 22A at 230V output. For that if the input is 60V you need 83A, with efficiency accounted roughly 100A.
What kind of experience do you have? I personally wouldn´t try doing such a thing without having great experience with at least a 500W power supply beforehand.

Unless of course you want a big transformer with a tap changer, that might be a lot easier.

layxide11

Joined Jul 30, 2015
Ok, so you want 22A at 230V output. For that if the input is 60V you need 83A, with efficiency accounted roughly 100A.
What kind of experience do you have? I personally wouldn´t try doing such a thing without having great experience with at least a 500W power supply beforehand.

Unless of course you want a big transformer with a tap changer, that might be a lot easier.
I have very little experience on building any actually. But can u please explain the diference btw the transformer with tap changer and the ordinary transformer for me please. Because i initially intended to construct the transformer using normal corper winding coil technique wound around a core to d specifics actually( as it is in recoiling eletric power motor).

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
A transformer with a tap changer is a transformer with a tap changer added to it. Use google. Whats are the "d specifics"?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If it's not clear, taps are just different points on the output winding with fewer turns ratio that are brought out using wires (tapped) to give lower output voltages than the maximum (full number of turns) the transformer output can deliver.
Thus you design the transformer for the maximum number of turns ratio needed to give the desired output voltage with the minimum input voltage and then add however many taps you need for turn ratios to give the desired output voltage for higher input voltages.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
More importantly, when designing such a device it would be very helpful to us to know what the source of power is and what the end load is.

If it's just stepping up 60 VAC to 240 VAC a common 115/23:230/460 VAC power transformer running in reverse would easily do that and give you the correct 4:1 voltage change ratio. The only downside is working at half voltage in order to carry 5 KVA a 10 KVA transformer would be required.