I need a battery holder

joew46167

Joined Oct 6, 2021
Hello

I have a toy device that uses 2 AA batteries installed end to end with just a battery clip (see image below) at each end. The batteries aren't very securely held in place, often popping loose where the 2 batteries meet when the child drops the toy, requiring that the batteries be reinserted. The device also eats through batteries at a ridiculous rate. I can't use AA rechargeables because they are 1.2 V for a total of 2.4 V, and they just won't allow the device to even turn on. The full 1.5 V from Alkaline batteries is required. Plus the rechargeables also pop out when dropped.

I can't make any changes to the device itself. The battery compartment is much larger than it needs to be. Large enough that I would like to make a PCB with an 18650 battery clip. My plan is to put a 14.5 mm diameter (the diameter of a AA battery) stud at each end of the PCB, an 18650 battery clip between the studs, and possibly a voltage regulator to take the voltage down to 3 V. And potentially even a battery charger circuit - this has not been decided yet and depends partially on space available. This would allow me to just plug my new PCB into the device to act as a battery pack. I believe that this PCB would be held in place more securely than the 2 AA batteries because it would be a single device with no meeting place in the center. The 18650 battery should last longer on each charge. And the 18650 is of course rechargeable. Overall a good solution!

However, I haven't been able to find the studs to put on the end of the PCB. For a proof of concept prototype I just used 1/2 inch long pieces of 1/2 inch diameter copper pipe that I got from a plumber. But that is not an acceptable solution.

Does anyone know where I can find the type if studs that I am describing? 14-16 mm long x 14.5-15.5 mm diameter copper or other conductive studs that can be mounded onto a PCB.

Thank you

Joe
battery clip.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

joew46167

Joined Oct 6, 2021
Sorry - I accidentally posted before I completed the title, and I can't figure out how to edit it

Hello

I have a toy device that uses 2 AA batteries installed end to end with just a battery clip (see image below) at each end. The batteries aren't very securely held in place, often popping loose where the 2 batteries meet when the child drops the toy, requiring that the batteries be reinserted. The device also eats through batteries at a ridiculous rate. I can't use AA rechargeables because they are 1.2 V for a total of 2.4 V, and they just won't allow the device to even turn on. The full 1.5 V from Alkaline batteries is required. Plus the rechargeables also pop out when dropped.

I can't make any changes to the device itself. The battery compartment is much larger than it needs to be. Large enough that I would like to make a PCB with an 18650 battery clip. My plan is to put a 14.5 mm diameter (the diameter of a AA battery) stud at each end of the PCB, an 18650 battery clip between the studs, and possibly a voltage regulator to take the voltage down to 3 V. And potentially even a battery charger circuit - this has not been decided yet and depends partially on space available. This would allow me to just plug my new PCB into the device to act as a battery pack. I believe that this PCB would be held in place more securely than the 2 AA batteries because it would be a single device with no meeting place in the center. The 18650 battery should last longer on each charge. And the 18650 is of course rechargeable. Overall a good solution!

However, I haven't been able to find the studs to put on the end of the PCB. For a proof of concept prototype I just used 1/2 inch long pieces of 1/2 inch diameter copper pipe that I got from a plumber. But that is not an acceptable solution.

Does anyone know where I can find the type if studs that I am describing? 14-16 mm long x 14.5-15.5 mm diameter copper or other conductive studs that can be mounded onto a PCB.

Thank you

Joe
View attachment 249681

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
@joew46167 - go to molex.com Talk to their people, they will do their best to see if they have what you need. You can also check out keystone products and others on digikey, etc.

Alternatively, you could modify something like this and solder it to your PCB:

1633534869216.png

Last edited:

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I did something similar. I used short lengths of wooden dowel with thumb tacks pushed into the ends for contacts. The wires were connected to the pins close to the flat disks. The thumb tacks work very well as battery contacts,

joew46167

Joined Oct 6, 2021
Thanks Keith.

I'd be OK with doing something like this IF if was just for me. Same with the copper pipe that I used.

However, if successful, I'd like to potentially offer this as an accessory that customers could purchase to use with their existing devices. For that I need something a little more "off the shelf"

joew46167

Joined Oct 6, 2021
Thank you Peter

I searched Keystone, DigiKey, and Mouser, but I didn't find anything. Although just because I didn't find kit doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

joew46167

Joined Oct 6, 2021
Thank you Boba

Thank you Peter

I searched Keystone, DigiKey, and Mouser, but I didn't find anything. Although just because I didn't find it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I saw that clip as well. However I need something more "off the shelf" that I can use without modification in case this becomes something that we offer as an accessory to go with the device.