I hate magnetism

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Well, OBW0549, I did keep both of mine. My Grandfather gave me a Weller 100W for Christmas about 60 years ago. I still have it, cracked case and replaced power cord and all. The 150 Watt I have is a later version I bought right after I got out of the Navy in 1964, It is actually a dual heat version (100/150 W) Although not used nearly as much as they once were, they are still functional and the go-to device when I need a lot of localized heat that my little 35 W iron won't handle. i hope that when I'm on the wrong side of the grass, that one of my grandsons can make use of them.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
For things like screwdrivers an old solenoid or relay coil from a sacrificial old solenoid or relay. Hack up an old transformer as was also mentioned. You could always send all of your tools to me for proper HAZMAT disposal (free of charge) and replace them at your cost.

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Lots of good ideas here. I ended up doing this:

I took a neodymium magnet and glued it to the end of a brass rod; chucked in the drill press and spun, it does a great job on the magnetized tools.

Thanks, all!
Hello again,

Oh ok that's cool. The rare earth magnet is strong too so that probably helps a lot.
I might have to try this myself.

I don't know if it is feasible for you, but when you heat a magnet above 80C/176F in a flame, it will lose its magnetism. The same will happen when you heat it in boiling water, but not as quick.

prerel

Joined Jan 18, 2011
A little late to the party, but surely you have had one of those cheap fans that the cheap bearings run dry of oil and it will barely spin or not spin unless you push the blades.

Pull the synchronous AC motor out of it and discard all the moving parts especially the rotor. Reconnect the wiring, including any thermal cutout circuitry.

That hole in the middle where the rotor was is the best free demagnetizer you'll ever have. Just run your tool ( :D ) into the middle of it and pull it away from the magnetic field influence. It will be demagnetized.

The trick to demagnetizing to almost zero magnetic influence is a continuously reducing AC (reversing) magnetic field. You get the reducing field by moving away from the demagnetizing influence.

You won't have to worry about slinging a big magnet all over your shop, either! :D

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
A little late to the party, but surely you have had one of those cheap fans that the cheap bearings run dry of oil and it will barely spin or not spin unless you push the blades.

Pull the synchronous AC motor out of it and discard all the moving parts especially the rotor. Reconnect the wiring, including any thermal cutout circuitry.

That hole in the middle where the rotor was is the best free demagnetizer you'll ever have. Just run your tool ( :D ) into the middle of it and pull it away from the magnetic field influence. It will be demagnetized.

The trick to demagnetizing to almost zero magnetic influence is a continuously reducing AC (reversing) magnetic field. You get the reducing field by moving away from the demagnetizing influence.

You won't have to worry about slinging a big magnet all over your shop, either! :D
Hi,

We like slinging a big magnet all over the shop, from wall to wall and ceiling to ceiling, that's the way a real man demagnetizes a tool :)