I could use assistance in balancing the current or amperage of this High-Voltage Switch Using Series-Connected IGBTs circuit with my modifications.

Eagle111

Joined Jan 9, 2024
1705008544532.png
The IGBT in this circuit is rated for 1200v 400a. I intend to swap them for IGBT rated for 1200V 25A with 50A pulse rating.

Power Input will be 4200vdc at 1.67 Amps at a maximum of 700W. I plan to drive the circuit at various pulsed frequencies with 8 IGBT's in series.

My question is, what calculations do i need to make, or what should be changed for what rated components for reliable balanced operation.
1705008668631.png
The 50ohm and 100uH components in upper left are for load testing of original circuit. . . .I think.

Original Circuit Title::
High-Voltage Switch Using Series-Connected IGBTs with Simple Auxiliary Circuit : by Ju Won Baek, Dong-Wook Yo, and Heung-Jeun Kim.

Attachments

Eagle111

Joined Jan 9, 2024
More info on the IGBT I'd like to Implement.

FGA25N120ANTD FGA25N Induction Power Tube Chip IC IGBT 1200V 25A, TO-3P

Also I'd like to do various tests at switching speeds ranging from 1kh to 20kh. around 200-1000ns.

Last edited:

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
It looks like you want to balance the voltage not current. (Divide up the voltage among the IGBTs)
(R1, R2 Ca, Cb) this causes the voltage to divide equally across each IGBT. The 10nF and 100nF capacitors are in the wrong place. The lager cap needs to be on the bottom and the smaller on top. The 10nF will have 90% of the voltage so use a 1500V or 2kV cap. The larger value cap will have 10% of the voltage so use a 250V cap.
I don't know your gate driver circuit. Please post that. It makes a difference how you turn on the IGBTs.
All the capacitors must handle the switching current. (maybe 10A) So choose the right caps.
I don't know what load you will be driving. Probably inductive, so you need to have diodes across it. The diodes need to be high current and high voltage. I am a little surprised there are not capacitors across those diodes.

Last edited:

Eagle111

Joined Jan 9, 2024
I'm now intending on utilizing a single IGBT instead now. As it seems like a better choice. So I'm thinking something like this to pulse 4100V 2A. Anymore tips or thoughts is much appreciated.1705281815498.png

Attachments

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
Are you powering this from a 12V battery?
It will be much better to use a single transistor!
Please tell us what you are trying to make.

Eagle111

Joined Jan 9, 2024
Yes I intend to power this trigger setup from a 12V 6aH Battery.

I'm open to utilizing a single IGBT, Mosfet or transistor. A single transistor was my original design. But I have been unable to locate such components for sale online which is suitable to pulse 4100V 2A at various frequencies between 1kh and 20kh. Efficiency and Reliability are paramount.

I am making a trigger setup for a high voltage spark gap.

Eagle111

Joined Jan 9, 2024
So basically, If i was to utilize those 4 components I listed above: Battery, Voltage Booster, Gate Driver IC and an IGBT, is there any other components I should add?

Thanks.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I do not know what output voltage you want, but 12 to 3000 is too much of a jump without a transformer.
edited--------------
If you are trying to make 3000V at 100s of watts, and you make one mistake, you are dead!

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Indeed the load for such a pulse will need to be able to handle that much energy without a violent failure.
I recall an article about powering "Exploding Bridge-wire Detonators." Rather an interesting application study.

Last edited:

Eagle111

Joined Jan 9, 2024
I'm familiar with the inherent dangers of high voltage. Which is also good to bring up. I have specialized equipment and protective barriers; I am good to go. I also have a high voltage power supply design i will be using. but that is already taken care of as well. There will be no load connected, this is for research and development purposes only.