I am an engineer but... - I designed an IOT module but nobody cares

Thread Starter

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
14
hi MA,
I would advise you to think about IoT devices that would fill a 'need' , not to create a IoT device and try to create a market 'need'.

You are tackling the problem back to front.

E
Thanks for the advise, in fact some people tell us that they need something, but after you make it, you'll see other people don't need to it, and even those people who told you that they needed it, don't need it any more, and then, you will stay alone with what you have made!
 

Thread Starter

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
14
Hi,
Do you go on factory or business site visits in your area.?

E
Hi,

Yeah, I have visited a few companies, but they mostly prefer import the products from China, or assemble some prepared products. There are some investor companies which only invest on a product which has its market, but the producer has not enough money for production. This companies capture (yes capture) 20 percent of stocks of the company which invest on their product.
 

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
21,582
hi,
I don't mean visiting them to sell one of your existing or proposed products.

Consider this, when you make these visits do you sometimes see a way their business could be helped to be more efficient and profitable if they introduced into their organisation one of your product ideas.?

E
 

Thread Starter

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
14
hi,
I don't mean visiting them to sell one of your existing or proposed products.

Consider this, when you make these visits do you sometimes see a way their business could be helped to be more efficient and profitable if they introduced into their organisation one of your product ideas.?

E
You mean for job and business partnership? well I like, but I'm afraid they tell me to do something and they don't pay to me after I done, a few times something like it happened to me...
 

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
18,169
...but they mostly prefer import the products from China, or assemble some prepared products.
OK, that's a bit of market research that has value. If you want to compete against that, you have to bring something to the table. It's not likely you'll beat them on low-cost manufacturing, so consider what other things you can offer that have value to the customer. You need to understand the problems they have that you can solve. Sometimes the customer is not even aware that something could be improved. "That's just the way we do it."
 

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
4,390
@MA321

Some investors have the resources necessary to HELP become more successful. Their time is worth money and they KNOW their hourly rate and what their acceptable minimums are.

Those who practice the world's oldest profession also are aware of their rates.

They get to decide how they are going to spend their time and resources.

Investors become partners. Benefactors don't, they just give you money.
 

Thread Starter

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
14
Can you tell us how the IoT device that you are trying to promote will be used.?
Yes, here's the datasheet of what i'm talking about, but the datasheet still is not completed:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u95Y4bpnSCJUEpVjutCWzvzEoAyC2vf-

OK, that's a bit of market research that has value. If you want to compete against that, you have to bring something to the table. It's not likely you'll beat them on low-cost manufacturing, so consider what other things you can offer that have value to the customer. You need to understand the problems they have that you can solve. Sometimes the customer is not even aware that something could be improved. "That's just the way we do it."
Yes, I agree. I'm trying but it's really hard to beat their products.

Some investors have the resources necessary to HELP become more successful. Their time is worth money and they KNOW their hourly rate and what their acceptable minimums are.
I also like to find an investor who becomes a partner for producing what I design and make.
 

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
15,156
I can't tell from the datasheet what components you have in your module, but isn't 5mA power-down supply current rather high in this day and age? It would rule out many battery-powered applications.
 

Thread Starter

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
14
I can't tell from the datasheet what components you have in your module, but isn't 5mA power-down supply current rather high in this day and age? It would rule out many battery-powered applications.
Yes, but it's not too much high though. this types of modules usually are supposed to be always in active mode or even burst transaction mode, however, power-down mode of this module is not completely power-down, because some of features remain enable. This types of problems are solvable with firmware update, and well firmware update depends on how many people will support this thing ...
 

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
8,862
Yes, but it's not too much high though. this types of modules usually are supposed to be always in active mode or even burst transaction mode, however, power-down mode of this module is not completely power-down, because some of features remain enable. This types of problems are solvable with firmware update, and well firmware update depends on how many people will support this thing ...
MA, I just took a look at your product's page. Two things:
  1. I suggest you dedicate 5 minutes to proof read it with a friend who is a native English speaker. There are one or two grammar inconsistencies that should be corrected. The use of clear and proper language in a product's description is a must. And people tend to trust the product far more if no mistakes are found in its brochure.
  2. The "Order" link in the wicard.net webpage is broken.
 

Thread Starter

MA321

Joined Feb 2, 2018
14
MA, I just took a look at your product's page. Two things:
  1. I suggest you dedicate 5 minutes to proof read it with a friend who is a native English speaker. There are one or two grammar inconsistencies that should be corrected. The use of clear and proper language in a product's description is a must. And people tend to trust the product far more if no mistakes are found in its brochure.
  2. The "Order" link in the wicard.net webpage is broken.
Thanks for reading, Yes, I have some software engineer in my technical team, their English is not good enough and my English is not good enough for preparing final edition of this datasheet, I can only write a draft edition. I have some native English speaker friends but they have not minimum knowledge about electronics to edit it ...

Order link is not enable at the moment, because I still don't know anything about international market of this type of modules. We have only some native order pages.
 

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
8,862
Thanks for reading, Yes, I have some software engineer in my technical team, their English is not good enough and my English is not good enough for preparing final edition of this datasheet, I can only write a draft edition. I have some native English speaker friends but they have not minimum knowledge about electronics to edit it ...

Order link is not enable at the moment, because I still don't know anything about international market of this type of modules. We have only some native order pages.
Where are you located?
 
Top