HV constant current current sourse to replace PV array

sparkskard

Joined Nov 18, 2014
look for a way to control HV pack ( 300 VCD ~ ) to a constant current source , ( that can be variable ) to replace the PV Array in a grid-tie inverter ..??I have used a CC/CV power supply With Series resistor ( to emulate the internal resistance of PV array ) now I want to replace the resistor with circuit so i don't waist
power in the resistor ...As far as I know a PV Array is a constant current source for most part and by being able to adjust the current going in ,, i could test the power coming out of the the inverter..but need to some way to emulate the internal resistance of PV array...

Sparks making spark again ~~~

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
pv arrays are not exactly constant current, the current and voltage both drop when there are clouds. they kind of act like a constant current source, since the output power varies with the load.

sparkskard

Joined Nov 18, 2014
Well yes, that what trying to emulate ,, ~~ but using a battery pack ,, and some some sort of controller that would control the current ( power ) ... thought the best way would be a buck type regulator ...Do you think I on the track ??

just out making more sparks

What's an "HV pack"?
sorry left out battery ..should read " HV Battery Pack " does that help ..

thanks for q .
pv arrays are not exactly constant current, the current and voltage both drop when there are clouds. they kind of act like a constant current source, since the output power varies with the load.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Any way you can rearrange the cells to get more current at lower voltage?

I've never looked for one, but I imagine a buck regulator with a 300V input is probably less common than those <100V.

sparkskard

Joined Nov 18, 2014
ya , knew it was not going to be easy ,,, but if works can get e power at night with same inv. o ya

making sparks again, let them fly ..

Any way you can rearrange the cells to get more current at lower voltage?

I've never looked for one, but I imagine a buck regulator with a 300V input is probably less common than those <100V.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
It's my understanding that grid tied inverters will not work without the grid; but if you are always connected then why trying to use battery power at night? Presume battereys are charged in day by solar power, so it seems that you have a grid tied off line system that dies if grid goes down?
Only big buck converters that I could find were around $ 2,000, and then went down to 24 V or 48 V & not constant current.

sparkskard

Joined Nov 18, 2014
Ya, I you all are missing point ,,, I'm try to run a grid-tie inverter when sun is down ,,,, to help stabilize the grid..
Germany is find that there are much of there electric is generated by PV.. when it doesn't shine ( the sun ~~~)it causes problem with grid generators ,, has to be increase ..Too PG&E ( and maybe other U.)will get you rebates for advance storage devices (ie Batteries).. it maybe that most grid-tie inverter make be UL listed for op. off battery power when there is no sun shining on PV array ,, but it be really nice if one witch from one to other without have to witch inverter ,, just by changing the inverter program~~~ does that make sense .. anyway I think does any way ~~~~~

Out making sparks in PV world ~~~ : )

It's my understanding that grid tied inverters will not work without the grid; but if you are always connected then why trying to use battery power at night? Presume battereys are charged in day by solar power, so it seems that you have a grid tied off line system that dies if grid goes down?
Only big buck converters that I could find were around $ 2,000, and then went down to 24 V or 48 V & not constant current.