How's the weather?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I think we sent some ugly weather your way spinnaker. Sun and threatening clouds all day and finally we got nailed. The real bad stuff moved through south of us heading for you guys in PA.

Ron

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I think we sent some ugly weather your way spinnaker. Sun and threatening clouds all day and finally we got nailed. The real bad stuff moved through south of us heading for you guys in PA.

Ron
It came down pretty good this evening. Cancelled my grilling plans then the sun came out. :(

Rained really hard on Friday. My gutters were overflowing! Downspout was completely blocked. I had to tear it down to clear it.

But I came out lucky. The North Hills area really got flooded out. Saw where Sloop Road in McCandless was flooded. My buddy live right off of Sloop. I called him on the phone. He is OK but a few of his neighbors were wiped out. They already are very poor. One lady was in her eighties.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Sun and threatening clouds all day and finally we got nailed.
Perfectly wonderful morning, then a, "front" moving from south to north, like a cold front, backwards, 300 miles wide. Dropping afternoon showers like the tropical paradise this place is. Heat index still below 100 F. No problem, if you don't mind being damp all the time.:(

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
We had no summer. Fruit crips are likely lost down in southern BC. Salmon fishing in our main river closed for at least a month due to low returns. Been raining non-stop. This weekend sun showed up for a bit finally. My deathly cough cleared up a bit

Attachments

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
We had no summer. Fruit crips are likely lost down in southern BC. Salmon fishing in our main river closed for at least a month due to low returns. Been raining non-stop. This weekend sun showed up for a bit finally. My deathly cough cleared up a bit
At least you have real Salmon, we've got Kokanee or Sockeye Salmon. My brothers boat has 4 down riggers, I'm excited to go out soon.

kv

Edit: Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs 87˚F 7 mph wind.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
90% chance of a tropical system forming in the gulf this week. Texas is over due by a few years for another big hurricane

Woo who! And dammit
Whenever you guys get a hurricane, we get the "tails" down here... hectic weather, but good for this scorched place all in all...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

No summer? It hasn't even started yet way up there in the Arctic Circle. ;)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
90% chance of a tropical system forming in the gulf this week. Texas is over due
Yay, Texas!:)
You can keep the hurricanes. About 12 years ago, one came so close to my house that I felt the blood return to my extremities when I realized it was going to miss me.:p

Really. I was at my Nephew's house watching the TV weather reports and waiting for a near death experience. (He uses me for a hurricane predictor because I've never been wrong.) When the moment came that I knew where the hurricane was going, I felt my face get warm and I could see it on his face when he saw the blood return to my face.

I didn't realize how tense I was until it was over. Can you imagine being so frightened that your body shuts down your peripheral circulation for several hours? That was when I understood that it is possible to be scared to death if your ticker is bad. It's not that I don't know how to survive, but I am deeply convinced it would be a personal disaster if a hurricane ate my house.:(

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Oh. Right. That's how Dorothy landed in Oz.:D
(A tornado is smaller than a hurricane, but they also spit.)
Whether they eat a house or just chew and spit, the results are the same: The house is gone and it's a very bad day.:(
Remember hurricane "Alex", back in 2010? ... It was a disaster for us in every sense of the word.

Here are three pictures of what the main "dry river" that splits the city in half looked like before, during and after this catastrophe:

134 Alex.JPG

006 Alex.JPG

135 Alex.JPG

Just look at what happened to our roads!:

044 Alex.JPG

Not everything that Hurricane Alex brought was bad... so much water poured in that now people can go kayaking in whitewater rapids just behind the Huasteca Mountains. This place is only 20 min away from where I live!!!:

6u2axole.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
An ugly heat wave is approaching:

Extreme heat can also affect planes, because the hotter it is, the thinner the air gets. This means that planes need more speed to take off and thus, require more runway.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/20/us/weather-west-heat-wave/index.html

Caught on the morning news that Phoenix Sky Harbor has cancelled flights expecting 120 Deg F. temperatures today and something about even smaller private jets requiring below 118 F. for taking off.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Is that true? so temp and elevation decide runway length?
Yes, and in most cases runway length is fixed. You can't take a short runway and make it longer so you work with what you have. There are considerations like weight and any head wind but temperature controlling air density is a very big key player in the game.

Ron