How's the weather?

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
72F today. Winter never lasts long enough here. I'd much rather be cold than hot. I would sign a petition to move Houston to Colorado.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I'd move New Hampshire to Florida if the rocks would promise to stay cool for at least 10 years.

The best thing about New England is that, if you get a bit warm, you can sit on a rock and it will suck the heat right out of you, but I wouldn't take that in trade if their winters came with it.

ps, 65 F to 75 F all this week. That's why I invented the phrase, "winter chores". There are things you simply can't do on the concrete back porch when the heat index is still 94 at 3 am!

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I'd move New Hampshire to Florida if the rocks would promise to stay cool for at least 10 years.

The best thing about New England is that, if you get a bit warm, you can sit on a rock and it will suck the heat right out of you, but I wouldn't take that in trade if their winters came with it.

ps, 65 F to 75 F all this week. That's why I invented the phrase, "winter chores". There are things you simply can't do on the concrete back porch when the heat index is still 94 at 3 am!
What about mosquitoes in New England? I'm sure there are lots less than in Florida, right? And probably roaches too!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What about mosquitoes in New England? I'm sure there are lots less than in Florida, right? And probably roaches too!
Not in my city!
Yes, it seems there is always one mosquito that won't let me work on my car, and if I stay out there long enough, his friends find me, too, but I've met worse in Indiana and Kentucky. (That's what citronella bracelets are for.) That's also a basis for Winter Chores. If you work in the day time, in a large city, mosquitoes usually don't find you.

Roaches are about filthy house keeping. I bought my house with a complete infestation of roaches. I had them wiped out in less than 6 months and now, any that come inside starve to death before they can reproduce. That's 36 years without a roach that survives 3 days.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I am certain that winter comprises December, January, and February in their entirety, and not a day more. (Remember, it's my calendar.)
I was basing my calender on the normally used solstice and equinox version of seasons. Plus your farther south than me so our winter isn't over until March, or some years April or May.:(

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I was basing my calender on the normally used solstice and equinox version of seasons. Plus your farther south than me so our winter isn't over until March, or some years April or May.:(
Maybe you are down there in Southern Ohio, after the past two days I figure this year winter should be over around mid June! :) Just took about 18" of frozen snow off the trucks. God I hate this stuff.

Ron

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I am just being obtuse and/or stubborn. We have had snow here in April (rarely,) but I just like to think that the end of February means the end of winter. Plus, we usually get a few days of mild, sunny days in February that remind me that spring isn't far away.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I remember, "April showers bring May flowers." but that is far north of where I am now.

In Florida, summer is defined as: Night temperatures never go below 70 F. All the rest of the time is what I call winter, Usually November to March or April. You like the 4 seasons? Fine. You can have them. Eleven below zero F last night in New York State! I think of people I know there and can't decide whether to laugh at them or cry for them.

Today I have 70F falling toward 60F at sunset. Mild wind from the south and a dribbling rain. If I work outside, it will have to be between sprinkles. Compare that to two feet of snow and below zero temperatures and know that I am in paradise today.

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
Monday Feb. 2... Snowing hard in Albany NY area, dang near a foot down here in my neck of the woods, and still coming down... Vehicles in the garages, plenty of kerosene and food... gas for the snow blower...for a change...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Monday Feb. 2... Snowing hard in Albany NY area, dang near a foot down here in my neck of the woods, and still coming down... Vehicles in the garages, plenty of kerosene and food... gas for the snow blower...for a change...
When the rain stops, I need to mow the lawn. :p

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Today I have 70F falling toward 60F at sunset. Mild wind from the south and a dribbling rain. If I work outside, it will have to be between sprinkles. Compare that to two feet of snow and below zero temperatures and know that I am in paradise today.
If I can swing it, and I have no job come about mid-month, I'll head down to Florida for a few weeks of sunshine and warmth. I won't go as far south as you though, probably as far as Pensacola, which will still be warmer then where I am.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
If I can swing it, and I have no job come about mid-month, I'll head down to Florida for a few weeks of sunshine and warmth. I won't go as far south as you though, probably as far as Pensacola, which will still be warmer then where I am.
Come down to Ft. Lauderdale and enjoy the beach. We can argue politics over a few brews.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
More snow today in the Boston area. Another 10-12 inches (maybe more)! I have a photo ready this time. image.jpg
The power cord is for my electric start snowblower b