How you test your devices in production?

Klever

Joined Oct 15, 2019
We need to test our device during mass production.
I think that we need to develop stand to testing
How you test your devices? What stand do you use?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
There is no simple turn key answer. This depends on the product, what the product does and which parameters you wish to test. Testing a product for final acceptance is a subject unto itself. You have provided no information at all as to product and parameters to test.

There can be testing during various manufacturing stages and final test before the product ships.

Ron

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
I spent most of my working life developing test systems for production lines. Some were simple, just a box with some switches and LEDs up to tall rack systems with several purchased pieces of test equipment (power supplies, voltmeters, frequency counters, power meters, spectrum analysers) and some custom equipment designed and built by me, all controlled by a computer. There may be tests to verify correct build on the line, tests required by legal regulations, and tests required by the customer. It all depends what it is required to test.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
If you are going to market your product, don't forget the numerous official safety and performance tests (dependent on various national legislation) the product will have to pass before it can legally be sold.

Klever

Joined Oct 15, 2019
There is no simple turn key answer. This depends on the product, what the product does and which parameters you wish to test. Testing a product for final acceptance is a subject unto itself. You have provided no information at all as to product and parameters to test.

There can be testing during various manufacturing stages and final test before the product ships.

Ron
Some analog signal +-5V, power consuption and some digital inputs

Welcome to AAC!
If you are going to market your product, don't forget the numerous official safety and performance tests (dependent on various national legislation) the product will have to pass before it can legally be sold.
Do you about sertification?

Last edited by a moderator:

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Welcome to AAC!
Yes, I was not usually involved in that, we had a separate department to handle all that. Some of it was farmed out to BSI.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Some analog signal +-5V, power consuption and some digital inputs
So what you have to do is sit down with a clean sheet of paper and well define each parameter you wish to test along with the test result criteria such as pass / fail allowable tolerances. For example Nominal 5.0 Volts UPPER LIMIT 5.25 Volts Lower Limit 4.75 Volts. Next you define the method you wish to use to test along with a written test procedural guide.

Testing involves collecting data and putting it somewhere, testing can be automated or manual. So test results, be they on paper or on a computer need to be archived in some cases. You really need to define exactly what you need/want?

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
And sometimes the customer wants a copy of the results.
Absolutely. I guess it all comes down to what the product is. We shipped a product which included a complete history book with everything from start to when it went out the door. Sort of a womb to tomb is we figured tomb was the day it left us. :)

Ron

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Note that each level of tests all will require multiple tests. For the power test. You’ll want three tests: power nominal, power maximum and power minimum. Then, say you have another test at two different points. Now you have 6 test cases. Then add another test with 10 possible scenarios. You have 60 tests... See the problem?

With some analysis, you might be able to prune the test tree... but you need to plan for that effort.

It’s not simple. Now imagine you have just one more scenario with 10 outcomes. Now your up to 600 tests. It’s likely that your test scenario runs into 1,000s of tests.

Or you can just test a few cases, punt on the rest. If you can take the risk of a negative perception by potential customers or have deep pockets for litigation, go for it!

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
My first test machine called out what part was bad. It was too complicated for production to use. I made a simple test machine that had a large red light and a large green light. Production put the green light products in the green ben and off to the next station. The red light product went in the red ben and off to repair. At repair the complicated machine help identify what part to replace.

What I learned is that the production girls can only handle a go/no-go test.

Klever

Joined Oct 15, 2019
So what you have to do is sit down with a clean sheet of paper and well define each parameter you wish to test along with the test result criteria such as pass / fail allowable tolerances. For example Nominal 5.0 Volts UPPER LIMIT 5.25 Volts Lower Limit 4.75 Volts. Next you define the method you wish to use to test along with a written test procedural guide.

Testing involves collecting data and putting it somewhere, testing can be automated or manual. So test results, be they on paper or on a computer need to be archived in some cases. You really need to define exactly what you need/want?

Ron
Yes, yes. I understand.
I dont know what hardware I can use to develop stand?

Klever

Joined Oct 15, 2019
Note that each level of tests all will require multiple tests. For the power test. You’ll want three tests: power nominal, power maximum and power minimum. Then, say you have another test at two different points. Now you have 6 test cases. Then add another test with 10 possible scenarios. You have 60 tests... See the problem?

With some analysis, you might be able to prune the test tree... but you need to plan for that effort.

It’s not simple. Now imagine you have just one more scenario with 10 outcomes. Now your up to 600 tests. It’s likely that your test scenario runs into 1,000s of tests.

Or you can just test a few cases, punt on the rest. If you can take the risk of a negative perception by potential customers or have deep pockets for litigation, go for it!
Ok. I know it is not simple task.
Could you say me, what hardware do you use to develop stands?

Klever

Joined Oct 15, 2019
My first test machine called out what part was bad. It was too complicated for production to use. I made a simple test machine that had a large red light and a large green light. Production put the green light products in the green ben and off to the next station. The red light product went in the red ben and off to repair. At repair the complicated machine help identify what part to replace.

What I learned is that the production girls can only handle a go/no-go test.
Thanks
What hardware do you use to develop this stand

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I dont know what hardware I can use to develop stand?
You choose the hardware based on exactly what you want to do. All of this was covered. You have not said exactly what you want to do? I want to test +5 Volts to an uncertainty of? I want to place the data I collect where? I want my results to go where? I want to have the ability to print out my test results on a sheet to ship with the product for the customer?

I just want to test for 5.0 Volts and do not wish to save the data by unit serial number. Then just buy a DMM and have someone test the product and yell Next!

We don't know the product and exactly what you want to do? You need to well define your needs.

Ron

Klever

Joined Oct 15, 2019
You choose the hardware based on exactly what you want to do. All of this was covered. You have not said exactly what you want to do? I want to test +5 Volts to an uncertainty of? I want to place the data I collect where? I want my results to go where? I want to have the ability to print out my test results on a sheet to ship with the product for the customer?

I just want to test for 5.0 Volts and do not wish to save the data by unit serial number. Then just buy a DMM and have someone test the product and yell Next!

We don't know the product and exactly what you want to do? You need to well define your needs.

Ron

I want test equipment with Ethernet and show reports on computer and save they in local folder
Is it real?

What does it mean DMM?