How/where to find flexible, high resolution, tablet sized displays?

tompa123

Joined Sep 8, 2018
Hi,

I am about to define a new tablet product/prototype. For this I need a HD+, 10+ inch, with some flexibility, display (probably OLED ?). However, I cannot find much of this on either eBay/Alibaba, or retailers as mouser/digi-key, and the manufactures do not show pure panels in their portfolio on websites.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed to know which panels that exists, where to buy them and possibly get samples?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi,

I am about to define a new tablet product/prototype. For this I need a HD+, 10+ inch, with some flexibility, display (probably OLED ?). However, I cannot find much of this on either eBay/Alibaba, or retailers as mouser/digi-key, and the manufactures do not show pure panels in their portfolio on websites.

Any suggestions on how I should proceed to first know which panels exists, where to buy them and possibly get samples?
You won't find any display available in small quantities. Samples will not be available unless you convince the vendor you have the ability to buy in bulk. That means upwards of 10,000 units. Hacking the display from an existing product is a process that will give you many headaches and result in unreliable product performance. I do not know of a path forward for you. We faced the same problem 30 years ago, and I cannot imagine what has changed since then.

tompa123

Joined Sep 8, 2018
You won't find any display available in small quantities. Samples will not be available unless you convince the vendor you have the ability to buy in bulk. That means upwards of 10,000 units. Hacking the display from an existing product is a process that will give you many headaches and result in unreliable product performance. I do not know of a path forward for you. We faced the same problem 30 years ago, and I cannot imagine what has changed since then.
Hmm ... how does other startups make it then?

Did you close your project with this problem?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hmm ... how does other startups make it then?

Did you close your project with this problem?
I don't know how other startups solved the problem. We abandoned the project since it required a large capital investment to get the display we wanted. We found more profitable things to do.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Either such products are started by a company with adequate resources, or you convince a venture capitalist to invest in your idea.