How was this drawn?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am considering making an analog meter clock.

Looking around for ideas and I found a project where the guy did a really nice job.

upload_2015-12-4_16-12-39.png

He claims he used PhotoShop but that is it. How was he able to draw that scale so accurately? Was it just brute force for are there tools to do that? Can it be done with one of the open source drawing packages?

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I use PhotoShop, but am not an expert. Nothing there is particularly challenging except the spacing of the division marks. However, I am fairly certain that it could be done by laying out the scale horizontally close to the correct size, then bending it and reducing/enlarging it until it was the exact size required.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I could do it for you if you want too.Photoshop was part of my daily routine for 7 years.
Actually I think I might have this one. Besides this is for a future project anyway and would not want you to bother if it is going to me months down the road.

But I can use a big favor if you are expert at PhotShop.

I have had this photo here which I really like

http://www.stempsoft.com/images/IMG_1323.jpg

But I caught the lady with the baby stroller in the background. Can it be removed? I have to start looking at the background when snapping pictures as well as concentrate on the subject. Also need to learn to just snap a whole bunch of pics.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I would put 12 in the middle, not 6.

And a second scale and movement for minutes.

Go all out.

I don’t know much about imaging software. But I can think of two ways. Angle of arc or length of arc. The length of the pointer, will give you both.

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Not sure if I did it the best way but I change the line color to white before merging it with the test.

upload_2015-12-4_17-53-55.png

Now I need to figure a way to add numbers as well as the lines. Maybe a number every 10 minutes.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
I am considering making an analog meter clock.

Looking around for ideas and I found a project where the guy did a really nice job.

View attachment 95888

He claims he used PhotoShop but that is it. How was he able to draw that scale so accurately? Was it just brute force for are there tools to do that? Can it be done with one of the open source drawing packages?
In the ARRL Handbook included software, there is a program for designing and printing out meter faces.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
That's why we had to learn mechanical drawing in the days before CAD systems and computer graphics. It comes in handy every now and again.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I do those things with Corel Draw.

I will post an example as soon as I gain access to the drawing PC.

/EDIT

Here you have it.

Control panel.png

EDIT/

Last edited: