How was this drawn?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
It can. Text can be curved on a defined path. Not sure of the 'how' details.
Yes Alec but a word of caution about text following a path. I run across a problem when preparing legends for my modelist brother to mimic the tires of an old firefighters truck: depending of how you do it, letters could become distorted (the end closer to the path - a circle in this case, would be narrower than the opposite end so those letters of non symmetric shape look weird). What I did is, as wayneh outlined, is to place a copy every so many degrees each and then edited the figures.

What I would not do either, because again the whole looks weird, is to keep numbers horizontal as in post #21.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Yes Alec but a word of caution about text following a path. I run across a problem when preparing legends for my modelist brother to mimic the tires of an old firefighters truck: depending of how you do it, letters could become distorted (the end closer to the path - a circle in this case, would be narrower than the opposite end so those letters of non symmetric shape look weird). What I did is, as wayneh outlined, is to place a copy every so many degrees each and then edited the figures.

What I would not do either, because again the whole looks weird, is to keep numbers horizontal as in post #21.
So you used the curved text method for your panels?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
No SP, I used the method of copying the marks every so many +/- degrees to each side from the center and then edited every individual value.

One key point is that all copies have to pivot coincident with the needle (or the very center of the pots in my case).

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
One nice thing about using a uC and a DAC is you can program the pic to match your meter. As long as it lines up with the needle and looks good it doesn't have to be linear.

jgessling

Joined Jul 31, 2009
As yet another example of computer types reinventing the wheel over and over I offer my X-windows/Motif widget that displays a meter. From 1993 when it was submitted to the DECUS library. (Digital equipment corporation users society). Use appropiate parameters to set size and scale limits.

ftp://ftp.decuserve.org/decus/vms/library/v00565/meterp.h

The header file (above link) and related source files from that same site will allow you to build the widget and integrate it into your windowing system.