How to wire an old Westinghouse Motor?

Tinman7

Joined Sep 6, 2017
Hello AAC forum-

I am new here and am a complete novice when it comes to circuitry(or motors). I can read an electric diagram to wire basic household projects but that's it. I'm sure that's what you guys love to hear ;) However, I love learning and like to think I pick things up pretty quick.
For my recent project I have acquired an old printing press. With it came an old Westinghouse 1/2 HP 1725RPM) motor (115 volts) Serial: q121823. The previous owner ran the motor off of a 2 prong plug with no ground. I would like to fix this. The motor is separate from the press and is an addition that most printers added to run the press via belt and flywheel to make printing much quicker. I want to revive this motor by adding the proper ground wire and wiring in an on/off switch at the press (Not at the motor. Motor sits behind the press under the flywheel).

I have attached some pictures of the motor and its current state. Any suggestions or immediate thoughts would be gladly appreciated. It looks like there are only 2 connections coming from the motor a Hi power and a Lo power wire (No common).

Thanks!

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Would be nice if you had an ohm meter to measure between pins 1 & 4 and 1 to case and 4 to case but it looks like a pretty standard 1/2 HP 120 Volt 60 Hz. motor. To run a ground and since the motor draws upwards of 10 Amps I would get some good quality AWG 12 or AWG 14 power cord from McMaster Carr Part Number 70355K36 or any home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot where you can buy the power cord and a plug. The plug would be a standard NEMA 5-15P. The green (ground) wire in the power cord would get screwed onto the motor chassis (frame) and the remaining power (Hot and Neutral) connect to pins 1 & 4 as it currently is connected. You can also get new spade lug connectors at any home improvement store or McMaster Carr Supply.

Ron

Tinman7

Joined Sep 6, 2017
Hey Ron-

That makes sense. I think the switch is what's throwing me off. I want an on/off switch at the press running to the motor and then the motor running to outlet on the wall. For some reason I can't envision this. Picture of what I'm after attached.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Hey Ron-

That makes sense. I think the switch is what's throwing me off. I want an on/off switch at the press running to the motor and then the motor running to outlet on the wall. For some reason I can't envision this. Picture of what I'm after attached.

Thanks!
My bad I forgot the switch. OK a standard US power cord has a Black (Hot) White (Neutral) and Green (Ground) wire. We typically switch the Hot so a switch would go in series with the black wire to the motor. There are a number of ways to use a switch in the circuit. What you want is a 120 Volt AC switch which will handle about 15 Amps AC as the motor can draw 10 Amps AC. If you go the do it yourself route you can buy a single gang box, switch and switch cover plate at any home improvement store depending on the switch design you want. You would actually wire the switch as if it were turning a light On and Off. All you need is a single pole switch. It should have two terminals but some do have a ground terminal. Try to envision the switch in series with the load on the black wire.

Personally on machinery I liked using malleable iron or aluminum switch boxes and compression fittings with oil proof wires or conduit but I am trying to keep things simple and inexpensive. This is why I suggested home improvement stores. :)

Ron

Ron