How to wire a DC switch to control a solenoid

Keenan

Joined Apr 2, 2021
Hi,

I am attempting to wire two switches to control two 24v DC solenoids. This is the first time that I have created something from scratch, and am unsure if I wired them correctly. If someone has a couple minutes to look at what I did (see attached pictures), and offer any guidance, that would be great!

Thanks,
Keenan

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not much to go on, is this AC fed?
What are the units ? what do you have right now?DWG etc?
What is the nature of the switches and any other pieces you have?

Keenan

Joined Apr 2, 2021
Yes it is 120 AC fed, the transformer is on the left side of the DIN rail.
The solenoids are 24v, 2.3W.
The switches in my hand in the first picture are the ones that I need to control the solenoids.

This is for a pick and place vacuum system that I am working on, so I do not have a DWG or other guidance from an existing system.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Yes it is 120 AC fed, the transformer is on the left side of the DIN rail.
The solenoids are 24v, 2.3W.
The switches in my hand in the first picture are the ones that I need to control the solenoids.

This is for a pick and place vacuum system that I am working on, so I do not have a DWG or other guidance from an existing system.
You normally start with a schematic and translate that into physical. You would do well to draw it out.
AC input should terminate to fuse. Using terminals on the din would clean it up, make easier testing, reconnection. Grommets on all cable pass throughs. A housing that serves environment. Bonding to conductive surfaces.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Also if that is a DC supply, ensure they are DC rated.Not AC!
Oh yeah, good point. Bad things happen.

This is what happens when someone replaces a DC 24 volt solenoid with an AC coil solenoid.

Cooked Coil.png

I was on vacation when they called me. Apparently it lasted about 15 min on DC. They replaced it twice before they called me. :)

Depending on other circuitry you may also want to place a flyback diode across the solenoid, cathode side to +.

Ron