how to wire a 12v pir motion sensor

wedgetail

Joined Oct 17, 2013
Hi guys:confused::confused::confused:
I have 4 lights wired in the same circuit. The lights are 12v 16 Led per light = 4x16 = 64 led. These lights are designed for daytime driving lights on cars.
I am using them on the outside of my shed. They connect to my 12v batteries of my solar panel setup. They all light up when i connect to 12v.

I bought a PIR motion and day/night sensor so the lights would not come on in the daytime, but would light at night when I approach.
THE PROBLEM IS: I dont know how to wire it in. I know it is just a switch of sorts. It has 3 connecters marked + - and load. Positive, Negative and Load.

These are the specs off the unit.
PIR Switch
Model:TAD-K22OBD-12VDC
Voltage: DC12V
Rrsitivc Load <80w Inductive loads <40w
Standard: GB16915. 1-2003

It would be great if someone can advise me how to wire this up?
Thank you and have a beaut day.:):):)

This is what it looks like:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310766691521?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Hi. :)

The three wires are connected like this;

+ (+12v)
- (12v ground)
load (connect the light between here and +12v)

So in use, when the unit detects movement the LOAD terminal is switched to ground. So the load (the light bulb) goes between +12v and the LOAD terminal.

Your 12v light should be no more than 40W for best reliability. :)

wedgetail

Joined Oct 17, 2013
Thanks DodgyDave, #12 and THE RB, I will try today and will let you all know how I go with this. Have a good day guys.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
OK. DodgyDave sees it the way I drew it and RB sees it with the bottom wire from the lamp being connected to Battery positive.
12v alarm sensors often use a NFET output (open drain) as it is a cheap way to drive a 40W load. Load goes between +12v and the LOAD terminal.

Or it might have a relay for the output, in which case the load could be between the LOAD terminal and ground.

Like you said we're guessing. :)

wedgetail

Joined Oct 17, 2013
Thank you guys. IT WORKS!! Your help is very appreciated. You all have a beaut day and I hope all ya Chooks turn into Emus and lay bloody big eggs for ya Brekky. See ya -Gerry (wedgetail)

wedgetail

Joined Oct 17, 2013
Hi #12
I would like to add a switch to override the sensor when needed. According to your diagram, where would i hook in this switch? Between the positive to the sensor and the positive (load) leaving the sensor to the light(s)?? Thank you again for your help.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Put it anywhere except in the wire from the sensor to battery negative.

Before the sensor, before the bulb, after the bulb.