How to use this motor as a generator

Chris Oremus

Joined Aug 16, 2018
I would like to Generate power with this motor but it isn't working. I made a 3 phase rectifier but it isn't working. I'm spinning it at 1000 RPM does it need to go faster to light the led?
1534975985707626528484.jpg

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What you have is what looks to be a drone motor. This drone motor in fact.
Item name: 2205 2300KV Brushless Motor
RPM/V: 2300KV
Height: 31.5mm
Width: 27.9mm
Shaft diameter: M5
Motor mount hole size: M3
Weight: 28 grams
Voltage: 2-4S
Battery: 2-4S lipo battery
Usage: for 250 260 280 Multirotor Frame Kit
CW screw thread motor comes with silver cap
CCW screw thread motor comes with black cap

Since yours is labeled CCW it was designed for CCW rotation. The other part is the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller). I think (operative word is "think" these are brushless DC motors and I am not sure exactly how the ESC works. I don't know if the ESC provides three phase power to the motor or if one of the three large black wires is a tach speed feedback.You can find more info here.

Per your picture it should work if the motor outputs three phase power. I am not sure what the output voltage is but the RPM/V is telling as to how fast the motor turns per volt. I am not sure at the speed you are spinning it you will have enough to overcome the forward voltage drop of your diodes.

Hopefully another member know more than I can contribute.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor appears to be a normal 3ph outrunner motor and the rated rpm is 2300 per volt applied, you will need at least that to generate 1v.
http://learningrc.com/motor-kv/
These motors are made for very high current at low voltage.
The one you have is bi-directional but it is operated unidirectional due to the direction of the prop threads.
Max.

Last edited:

panic mode

Joined Oct 10, 2011
first of all that LED will need a current limiting resistor.
red LED needs some 1.7-2.2 V top operate.
also rectifier diodes have Vf of about 0.6V and two of them are conducting at any time.
so to get LED working your motor need to generate at least 3.4V or so.

your motor produces 1V at 2300RPM so speed is too low and generated output is some 0.4V. you need some 8000+ RPM in this case

blue_coder

Joined May 7, 2016
Hello Chris, it also looks like your LED is the wrong way around? Judging by your diodes, the LED cathode should be towards the front of the picture, but I can't see the flat side of the LED... could just be the pic, but worth checking with a multimeter.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Maxheadroom is right these are designed for high speeds and high currents ,low voltage and very high power ....

I think a stepper motor might work better ...

Chris Oremus

Joined Aug 16, 2018
I am very grateful that you all are sharing your knowledge so generously! Really!
With your help I'm now able to expand my range of creative abilities to make things that were out of my reach before I found this forum and all the brilliant minds here to learn from and collaborate with. Thank you!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is a BLDC (Brushless DC) the voltage is induced in the stationary coils via the rotating magnets, so the output is AC 3 phase.
You need the 3ph rectifier.
The top picture shows the generated BEMF waveform from a back fed motor
Max.

Attachments

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
These small brushless motors produce such high power you probably only need tap on one phase ...pick any too leads , put a diode in series and this will produce half wave DC .... add a capacitor to smooth.

This motor would be better suited ....

It's 320KV ....320RPM it outputs one volt ....3,200RMP outputs 10V it's designed for a skateboard .This small motor can generate or consume 1.8Kw , so again , you only need tap one phase... The only difference with the one you have is each coil has many turns of thinner wire , giving higher voltage but lower current .

There are 100's of different types on eBay ,you can select one with the KV to suit your needs ... You have to first be clear what voltage you need at what RPM.

Last edited: