How to test fridge fan motor without multimeter

Martiio

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Hello
I have a problem with my refrigerator.The freezer work,but the fridge doesn't.I noticed that the cold air from the vents doesn't come out! I saw, that the fan doesn't rotate.I have no multimeter right now,but can somebody tell me, if i use power supply 12v and conect it to red and black wire ,should the fan works,because there is and purple wire, but I think it's a signal wire?So if I conect only red and black wireshould the fan rotate?

Attachments

sghioto

Joined Dec 31, 2017
Should work with power on red and black.
Purple wire is usually a feedback to the control board to verify fan is working.

Martiio

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Should work with power on red and black.
Purple wire is usually a feedback to the control board to verify fan is working.
What will happen ,if i use fan motor with a slightly higher mA?My original motor is 230ma,If I put 320mA motor what will happen?

k1ng 1337

Joined Sep 11, 2020
Might be a good idea to consult a pro or replace the unit. I'm all for trying to fix things yourself but know your limits.. it doesn't sound like your ready to be playing with wires on a system that is potentially dangerous if poorly configured.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
LG Freezer Fan Motor DC : Dongseo RDD056X01.T 13V DC 3.20W 25MA CCW

That should be your fan motor or very close to it. I believe the 25 mA is incorrect since 3.2 Watts / 13 VDC = 230 mA which makes sense.

Product Description
This replacement Fan Motor is located in the freezer compartment of your LG appliance and it affects the operational efficiency of your unit.

The cold air to the whole refrigerator originates in the freezer compartment and then it is circulated downward with the help of this Freezer Fan Motor. If your existing freezer fan is damaged or faulty, then temperature in the appliance will rise.

Fan motors draw low currents and usually have a long life-cycle, but they can burn out if the fan blades no longer rotate.
Not sure what the purple wire is all about? Likely as mentioned it is feedback to a controller board. I am also seeing assorted pricing but figure it this way, you can drop about $60 USD and see what happens or call an appliance repair person and give them their due plus part(s). This is where a common cheapie multimeter would come in handy to see if for example the red and black are showing power to the fan.

Ron

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Spin shaft by hand; lubricate bushings, if can be removed, connect to your car battery... Buying a multimeter now is cheaper than buying the replacement.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
It will be a Brushless DC motor, only real test is feed 12V or 13V DC to it if it doesnt run then its faulty. These types of low voltave fans are common now in fridges. My LG inverter fridge has 3 of those types of motors.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Try turning the fan motor shaft by hand, with the power off. Does it turn freely? If this is a refrigerator with a compressor and cooling coils, the most common failure is the defrost timer. We are not given enough information to make useful suggestions, it appears.

Rich2

Joined Mar 3, 2014
If the bearings have gone dry lube with fully synthetic engine oil. Cheap oil will only last a couple of weeks.
Alternatively you could fit an axial fan in if it will fit. They are cheap and last years.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Might be a good idea to consult a pro or replace the unit. I'm all for trying to fix things yourself but know your limits.. it doesn't sound like your ready to be playing with wires on a system that is potentially dangerous if poorly configured.
That approach is exactly what the purpose of this forum us to avoid. Flinging money at every question is counter to everything for those not burdened with more wealth than they know what to do with.