How to sync parallel to serial converter to transmit

pigue

Joined Aug 20, 2008
Hi there, I am new in this forum.... I have a question about my university project.

I have 8 parallel bits of data to transfer. I try to make a parallel to serial converter with flip-flops type D, and but I cannot make the Parallel to serial converter sync with the Serial to parallel converter on the receive.

I have this problem because to parallel to serial converter works correctly, I need pulse "0" to clear all flip-flops and pulse "1" to enable the transfer every after 8 pulses of clock continously.

What the better simple parallel to serial converter and, how can I sync with the receiver???

thank you very much, sorry my poor english...

Marcus Fonseca

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
There is a communications protocol, RS-232, that addresses all those concerns. you may not need to use the signal levels, but you will want to learn about framing the data word with start and stop bits, and use a "handshake" signal to signal when data is being sent.

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
UARTs are easier. You may also wish to consider a 4034 serial/parallel input/output chip.

The main problem you are facing is in synchronizing the clocks at both ends of the serial data path. This is usually done by sending not only the data, but a clock pulse along with the data bits. See the IIC, SPI, CAN and LIN protocols.

--Rich