How to stop flow of power to the grid from a grid tie inverter

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by rganeshs, Mar 27, 2017.

1. rganeshs

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 27, 2017
    i have installed the grid tie solar plant, but the utility company does not have the bi-directional meter in stock and no idea when they will get it, sadly the consumer is not allowed to source the meter our own in our state, is there a way we can have a device on the output point of the meter to stop the reverse flow so that we can avoid the double count, yes i understand that excess generation will be wasted, atleast we can use it for the current load and not declare the investment as non performing asset, any help here will help me to use the investment

Thanks
    Ganesan

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Grid tied means it only puts out power when it can sense grid power available. If you break the connection with the grid the inverter will not work. (It is designed this way on purpose)

You will either spin the meter backward or it will simply stop recording power use when you create more kilowatts than you use.

At least you will not have any more electric bills to pay.

3. N11778

Dec 4, 2015
    Most Power Company's are Government. Stay away from them if you can.
    Make your system off grid like I did. Costs a bit more, battery's and inverters.
    Advantages: +++++
    1: You don't pay the power company to make your own power.
    2: You will still have backup power if the Grid power goes off.
    With gridtie your system is worthless until the grid is back up.

- - - - - - - - --
    They only pay you about 1/4 as much as they charge you for power.
    Say you pay 16Cents a Kilowatt they pay you 4 Cents for your excess.
    Plus the $30 per month flat fee for the privilege of connecting to their Grid.

++++++So it's best to have your OWN Grid :) +++++++
    You can buy a lot of batteries for $30 a month

DickCappels likes this.
  4. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    Where do you get 'lots of batteries' for $30 a month that aren't questionable to outright junk?

As far as 'costs a bit more how much more?

My monthly electric bill runs around $80 - $100 for ~700 - 900 KWh and I can pull up to ~48 KW for short bursts or ~15 - 20 KW continuous duty and has an annual down time that now under 5 hours a year.

What's your price estimate to make and maintain a system that would compete with that? o_O

nsaspook likes this.
  5. N11778

Dec 4, 2015
    "Tec" What Solar system do you have? On or off grid

6. tcmtech

Distinguished Member

Nov 4, 2013
    I don't have one. I have utility grid power.

When someone makes a big claim about AE/RE power systems design being cheap I like to have them put their design skills and numbers up against competing with real proven cheap reliable and readily available utility power and see how they come out.

Personally I do play with wind power now and then and when I do I just grid tie the generators to my mains power. Simple cheap and easy.

7. N11778

Dec 4, 2015
    "Tec" My system is here Did not want to HiJack this thread.
    https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/my-off-grid-solar-system.133846/