how to stop alternating current flow in a circuit without mechanically disconnecting wire/conductor

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Need some additional information. How much voltage/current are we talking about? Is the circuit inductive? What will control the circuit?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Have you heard of solid state relays? Some will interrupt AC. Then, all you need is the signal to initiate an on/off action.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can mechanically disconnect using a switch or relay contacts, if that is not what you want you can electronically disconnect using as mentioned a SSR (Solid State Relay). Since you mentioned:
without mechanically disconnecting wire/conductor?
You aren't saying much there? Also a "home appliance" can be a large load like an electric drier or a light load like a small electric knife sharpener. You really need to be more specific.

Ron

sou30719

Joined Sep 9, 2019
You can mechanically disconnect using a switch or relay contacts, if that is not what you want you can electronically disconnect using as mentioned a SSR (Solid State Relay). Since you mentioned:

You aren't saying much there? Also a "home appliance" can be a large load like an electric drier or a light load like a small electric knife sharpener. You really need to be more specific.

Ron
Hi, Thanks for your time. I don't want a mechanical switch ...but a continuous conductor.
Home appliance can be anything from drier to small appliance....can be wide variation.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
+1 for Triac/Thyristor, it can be turned on using one resistor and an ordinary home light switch.
I refer to a coil/contacts device as electro-mechanical.;)
Max.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi, Thanks for your time. I don't want a mechanical switch ...but a continuous conductor.
Home appliance can be anything from drier to small appliance....can be wide variation.
I'm not aware of any practical solution that would interrupt the AC current in a continuous conductor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I have used a triac in with a motor centrifugal start switch, the centrifugal switch just triggered the triac and avoided the arcing premature failure of the switch itself.
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Then I am with the others who have suggested a Triode AC Switch” or Triac. Just make sure the Triac you choose can handle your load and you will still need a method to gate the triac. Electronic switching is normally designed around an intended application so the answer to your question is generic.

Ron

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Switching any Triac device comes down to the method you require to control it automatic or manual?
If automatic, what process decides this?
Max.