How to step down 230Vac to 24Vdc

wadevva

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Hello,

Sorry for posting a problem which is violating the rules previously. For now I will try to re-phrase it as much as I can as I am not powering LEDs from the main directly.

I am currently doing a project which needs me to convert AC to 20-30Vdc.

As the whole project have to be small. I am thinking of rectifying the AC then chopping it to a higher frequency and from there I will use a transformer, which I think will be smaller to bring the voltage down. Just want to know if anyone have any experience of bringing a voltage down with a smaller transformer?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can use a transformer to bring the voltage down to 24VAC and then rectify it to DC
or you can use an AC-to-DC adapter that delivers 24VDC.

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
AC 230V->Transformer AC 240V/24V DC->Graetz bridge->Capacitor->Voltage regulator LM3xx->Capacitor->Output=31-32VDC

LED goes after the capacitor not before!

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The whole point of, "switching" power supplies is to use a higher frequency to make them smaller. In my opinion, no amateur can match the size and quality of a retail product (and that includes me). Most of the people here know how to do a 50Hz or 60Hz power supply from scratch, but the question is, "How small does it need to be?" and, "How much current-voltage-power- do you really need?" You need to come up with some hard numbers before anybody can do a calculation.

wadevva

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Thank you all for replying. I understand that it is possible to step down the AC through the transformer. But the project I was given specified that it must be small. Therefore I am looking if there is alternative instead of applying the big transformer at the beginning. I read online about fly back transformer. Using MOSFET to create the cycle and similarly stepping down the voltage.

wadevva

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Thank you Bertus for helping answer some questions. The output is 24Vdc 700mA. Output voltage will be vary from 20-30 and will be monitored be Infineon micro controller (XMC1200)

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

You can not regulate the leds with controlling the voltage.
Leds are current controlled devices and need a regulated current source.

Bertus

wadevva

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Hi Bertus,

The voltage that my project will then go to another DC-DC converter known as a LED driver to me till date. I do not know what is there from the LED driver. My supervisor was not willing to show the driver. Therefore the main aim is to have a AC DC which should have a output of 20-30Vdc and approx 700mA. I read up of all the configuration like buck topology and something called SMPS.
I am really confused now as I am a fresh undergrad who do not really have the skills to do this which a requirement of this project is to keep it small. I was thinking about having transformer and rectifying the AC but was rejected by him as he says that a 50Hz transformer is too big. @@

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
My supervisor was not willing to show the driver.
I am really confused now as I am a fresh undergrad who do not really have the skills to do this ...
I'd be looking for a new job if I was treated this way. Perhaps you are being tested to see if you will openly admit that you don't have the skills to do this task. Humility is a valuable trait and none of us know everything. I have no problem admitting it quickly if I don't know something. If you fear losing your job as a result, well, consider what is going to happen anyway.

A fair question for your supervisor is why you don't just buy the power supply you need, perhaps as a module to incorporate into a larger design.

The type of power supply you need to design is not allowed for discussion here.

wadevva

Joined Sep 9, 2014
I'd be looking for a new job if I was treated this way. Perhaps you are being tested to see if you will openly admit that you don't have the skills to do this task. Humility is a valuable trait and none of us know everything. I have no problem admitting it quickly if I don't know something. If you fear losing your job as a result, well, consider what is going to happen anyway.

A fair question for your supervisor is why you don't just buy the power supply you need, perhaps as a module to incorporate into a larger design.

The type of power supply you need to design is not allowed for discussion here.
Ok. I will look into it again and see what I can do to get this working. Thank you for the time.
I wish to leave too! But I was under a contact for a year.

Thank you all for replying and sorry if caused any inconvenience for posting something that is not allowed for discussion.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Don't let me run you off. That's the Mods' job. ;)
Seriously, there are plenty of discussions around here about switch-mode power supplies (SMPS) and other things that stretch the interpretation of the forum rules. LEDs to mains and automotive modifications will get you tossed quickly, but other things are usually more case-by-case.

wadevva

Joined Sep 9, 2014
Hi Bertus,

From the block diagram, it shows that they are using a flyback topology and can I ask what is the name of the transformer on the block diagram. I believe it uses the MOSFET to switch the primary side to charge it up and pass it to secondary side when the switch is off right?

I tried to look for transformer for this type and I believe that such transformer is small in size too.