How to read a transformer

Qu12eeS

Joined May 1, 2008
Someone help me please. I need to explain and provide literature for my peers on why transformers are labeled with their informtion.

Example: The transformer states the input AC 120 volts 60Hz and the Output states DC 24 volts 1000 mA. To my understanding the transformer will take in 120 volts AC and put out 24 volts DC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Where can I find literature to explain this in simple terms.

Ken89wh

Joined May 2, 2008
My guess would be that you have come across a transformer with its own DC convertion circuitry built-in, thus why it is labled as output 24VDC. This built in circuitry would consist of rectifiction diodes and filter caps at least.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Someone help me please. I need to explain and provide literature for my peers on why transformers are labeled with their informtion.

Example: The transformer states the input AC 120 volts 60Hz and the Output states DC 24 volts 1000 mA. To my understanding the transformer will take in 120 volts AC and put out 24 volts DC.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Where can I find literature to explain this in simple terms.
This is not just a simple tarnsformer. It contains a transformer that steps down the mains voltage (240V AC) to about 30V AC. Then there is a rectifier circuit that rctifies the AC voltage to DC and some kind of filter to take care of the ripple voltage. Maybe there is a regulator if it is a regulated power supply. if it is a switched mode power supply then there is a 'chopper' controlled by a PWM to maintain the output voltage (24 VDC) fixed independent of the load.