How to power this old motor ?

Adrti

Joined Apr 26, 2021
Hello, I bought an old motor yesterday that I now understand may be from a sewing machine (tell me if I’m wrong). The seller emphasized that it was old and that the motor may not work; but it came with a reducer and as the thing wasn’t expensive, I’m now contemplating making it work at home. On it is written “75DC AC8 129” - does it mean it takes 75v dc input ? Wouldn’t that take a serious converter then? Thanks!

179087533_311890623782182_29522217484582574_n.jpg
177924921_207036174281073_8058866378158496697_n.jpg

Moderators note : removed multiple images

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That is a shaded pole induction motor which means it operates from single phase AC. It will probably operate at the mains voltage for whatever country it was manufactured in. Although Acadex does make sewing machine motors, the toothed belt cog and the fact that it is not the usual universal motor that can be speed controlled is odd.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Generally a triac 'dimmer' style should operate it off of the line, very rare to see a shaded pole motor on a S.M.
Definately not DC from the look of it.
Where are you located?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Do Shaded poles have enough torque to run a sewing machine?
Can we see a photo with a scale alongside to guess the size of the motor?

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If the motor is from a sewing machine, and the brand would make it seem to be the case, I would guess it is not to drive the main mechanism. It might be for something like a bobbin winder.

If the toothed belt cog wheel is original, it would be very unlikely to be the main drive which is usually v-pulleys with a round belt. It seems like it has to be some sort of accessory motor.

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
I think it was designed to plug into the power line. (I reject the 75DC idea)
It might have a gear box to slow it down.

I have a 0-110 or 0-220 transformer. It will be safe to start out at a very low voltage. Do you have a 12V or 24V transformer? I really think it will work at line voltage.
1619449648459.png

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
If the motor is from a sewing machine, and the brand would make it seem to be the case, I would guess it is not to drive the main mechanism. It might be for something like a bobbin winder.
Agree, in all the years I have fixed the odd S.M. the older ones tended to be Universal motor and variable resistance pedal, the shaded pole type motor shown is extremely inificient as induction motors go.
As both motors above go, they are totally opposite as to torque range.

Adrti

Joined Apr 26, 2021
Thanks for your numerous replies. I dont have the motor with me at the moment because i left it with my tools at my other place. But I can say that the motor itself feels rather big and heavy - maybe 6x6x8cm in size.
I got it on a market in Georgia, in the Caucasus, which could explain its oddity! Because it's not a soviet thing it may not give much of a clue for the powering question though. The cog is also large with a 5 or 6cm diameter.

I do not have a transformer here unfortunately but might get equipped at some point.

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
That Shaded Pole Motor will not run a SM. It is too weak, given the size. It must be from some other application, maybe a Fan driven by a Flat Sprocketed Belt.