how to measure the micro ampere currents

ep.hobbyiest

Joined Aug 26, 2014
i want to use micro/milli ampere current. i was planning to use multimeter but multimeter doesn't support that range. Anyone knows any module can help me reading the uA and mA current.

sparky 1

Joined Nov 3, 2018
What is hidden below the resolution for some applications can be frustrating.
I have found that in circuit that the temperature of the component driven matches the datasheet it is most accurate without the finest equipment. I could rely on datasheet. I could transfer an accurate current and measure with a meter and note the error.
In most cases I really needed a compensated uA probe because the source gathered noise and was no longer close enough to DC to be reliable. The pdf shows the specifications for a uA probe that some projects require. Using a small amplified loop to see the waveform then you have to decide if an accurate quantitative measurement is being obsessive or is really necessary. Necessary or being on the safe side changes the approach.
https://www.keysight.com/us/en/assets/7018-03784/data-sheets/5991-1711.pdf

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Bench meters usually have a 200uA range with 1 or 2 decimal places for nA. Even my Fluke 27 has a uA range. Look into used meters on eBay for what you need. I bought a great Fluke 8050A bench meter there for $40. Which is about the price of a decent new handheld.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i want to use micro/milli ampere current. i was planning to use multimeter but multimeter doesn't support that range. Anyone knows any module can help me reading the uA and mA current.
Show us your intended application. Be careful that the meter doesn't perturb the circuit you're trying to measure.

ep.hobbyiest

Joined Aug 26, 2014
@dl324 and @Audioguru again

i am building low power handheld device where we want to check the current flowing in idle/low power mode.
@SamR I think i should go with Fluke 27 as this will come with factory calibrated.

Thanks @sparky 1 @Furieux F after the meter i will plan to use this modules..

And just for information i was planning to have AD620 based circuit for this purpose.