How to make a push button toy always on?

Tyler Nacho

Joined Oct 30, 2018
I'm modifying toys I've found at thrift stores. I want to be able to flip the on switch and have the toy move until I turn it off. Unfortunately 90% of these toys only work when you turn them on and then press a button to see them dance or go through various motions. I've tried connecting the two wires that go into the button but it only plays through the motion once and then stops.

My idea right now is to attach the wires to a timer so they are activated every 60 seconds or so. Does anyone know how to make a timer like that? Arduino could work but I'd rather do something easier and cheaper.

I attached images of the button that activates the toy. Im hoping to find something that I can just connect to those wires as most of these toys use the same button.

Thank you so much for any help!

Bordodynov

Joined May 20, 2015
My work is connected with devices. Some of them use buttons. The button you showed reminds me of a Chinese latch button. The Chinese in the manufacture of such buttons are world leaders. I can draw a circuit on a timer and a field-effect transistor that I need to add to this button, but I need to know which batteries are used. And specify the time intervals (how long it works, and how much the toy rests).

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Also keep in mind that something that was designed to be run for short periods of time may not work well when run constantly. Motors may overheat, anything with lights/leds may also overheat.. Just my $.02 worth.

Tyler Nacho

Joined Oct 30, 2018
My work is connected with devices. Some of them use buttons. The button you showed reminds me of a Chinese latch button. The Chinese in the manufacture of such buttons are world leaders. I can draw a circuit on a timer and a field-effect transistor that I need to add to this button, but I need to know which batteries are used. And specify the time intervals (how long it works, and how much the toy rests).
Thank you so much for your help! They are all double A's but the time intervals vary toy to toy. Is there any way you can explain how I can change the time depending on the toy? Or I could make them all 2 minutes as that would be way longer than any of them take and lessen my chances of the toy overheating.