How to insert a Reset and Pause button in a stopwatch circuit using 4510BP and 4543 IC?!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Your first post. Welcome to AAC!

Schematic is illegible. Post only the counter portion; don't need to see the decoders, displays, or your desktop.

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
I am sorry, this is my first time in this field. And i was not explained anything by the lecturer. So i am just learning everything by myself. It is an assignment and i am not being able to move further. i hope this snippet gonna make things better for you guys. Unfortunately it does not print. And note that the reset switch only displays ZERO, but it doesnot actually reset the timer; the timer is running meanwhile in the background.

Attachments

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Still unreadable. It is basically the png file that you posted in PDF format. Do you know how to use the software you are using? Do you check what you post?

Print the schematic to PDF. Do not print the png to pdf

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i was not explained anything by the lecturer. So i am just learning everything by myself. It is an assignment and i am not being able to move further.
If this is homework, you should post in the Homework Help forum. In any other forum, someone may just give you the answer and that could be considered cheating and result in a failing grade.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
this timer is supposed to start from 00:00 till 59:59
Then we're going to need to be able to see the logic gates by the decoders.

Zoom in on the relevant logic and print that region or do a screen capture. Whatever you post, check it to see if you can read pin names. If you can't read it, neither can we...

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
Still unreadable. Did you learn to check your work in school?

Print to a PDF.
No we learnt only to connect a simple lighting bulb, and save it. We were then given this assignment. It has been 2 whole weeks i am bent on trying to add a pause and reset but i cant. I am trying a way to post my work in the correct way. As i told you before, i am very new in digital electroncs.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
It has been 2 whole weeks i am bent on trying to add a pause and reset but i cant.
When is the assignment due and what are your ideas for adding pause and reset?

I've requested that your post be moved to the Homework Help forum. In this forum, it's more likely that someone trying to be helpful will just give you the answer and deprive you of an opportunity to learn; or realize that you actually did know how to do it, as it would be quite unlikely that you would be asked to do an assignment without being given the knowledge to do it.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Do you have the datasheets for the 4510 and 4543 ICs?
Have you read them?
Do you understand what the various pins do?
There is one pin on the 4510 which will answer at least one of your questions...

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
actually i dont know a thing in this.. i was trying to obtain a theoretical help from this forum, b'cause i want the assignment done with my hard work. For the reset, i've read somewhere that i will have to connect the reset pins of the 4510 BCD to ground or something, i tried it, but it went awry. i guess ill try harder, if nothing happens, ill shift to the homework section. Deadline is till 4th jan 2016.. damn close huh?? Feeling desperate.. Thanks a lot guys

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Deadline is till 4th jan 2016.. damn close huh?? Feeling desperate..
No need to worry. It's a simple problem; the slow part will be guiding you to a solution. Next time, don't wait so long to ask for help; preferably from your instructor or classmates.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I see that your post has been moved to the Homework Help forum.
For the reset, i've read somewhere that i will have to connect the reset pins of the 4510 BCD to ground or something, i tried it, but it went awry.
Now you need to post what you've tried and why it didn't work.

And post a readable schematic for the counter and reset logic.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
In the interests of saving time, I reviewed the version of your schematic posted by @JoeJester (thanks Joe).

You have a couple logic problems in your circuit that need to be corrected before adding pause and reset functionality. That way you'll get partial credit if, for some reason, you aren't able to implement the additional functionality in time.

Have you taken a drafting class? If you paid more attention to drawing your schematic neatly, it would be easier to see circuit function. The unnecessary wire jogs obscure the intent of your decode logic. Normally the preferred flow is left-to-right and top-to-bottom but, in this case, it makes more sense to do some right-to-left and bottom-to-top placement. That would give you a right reading display in your simulator and would aid in layout in a real application.

What simulator are you using? Is it showing correct counting?

Ally860

Joined Dec 26, 2015
Yess it is showing correct timing and thus is multisim 13.0 . thank you for the advice

Sir, i will try to rectiy the arrangemnts :)